Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thinking about giving my dog back to his previous owners. Updated 04-03

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies
1 mom liked this

I fell in love with a dog on Craigslist. It was a 5 year old pug beagle mix. His name was Romeo. He was sooo cute! I've had him about 6 months. Hes been a great dog. 

They said he had to be gone by a certain day or he would have to go to the animal shelter. I picked him up on that day about 20 minutes before the deadline. When i showed up, it was two probably 20? year olds. Guy and girl. Both were obviously upset (crying) when they had to give him away. The landlord was standing next to them and had eviction papers in his hand if they didn't get rid of the dog. I still send updates and pics of Romeo to them, and for Easter i sent some easter pics we had taken of Romeo with my daughter. I started talking to her and she said they finally bought a house and are going to start looking for another pug beagle mix. and said how much she missed romeo. She never asked for Romeo back, but i'm thinking about offering to give him back to them. They spoiled him rotten, he came with probably $100 worth of toys/bones and 2 dog beds, a kennel that was covered in padding, blankets, etc...

Its not that i don't <3 the dog, but they still miss him and my kids never really bonded with him. Hes just entertainment for a few minutes and then there done...

Opinions? I know I have to be the one to decide, but i want to know what others would do in this situation...

Update: I talked to the kiddo's and they didn't really understand what i was saying, they thought i just wanted to get rid of the dog. So i took them to the animal shelter and we walked threw the shelter. They fell in love with Bruiser. A boxer mix. I asked them if they wanted to take home Bruiser, and then Romeo could go back to his family, and they both agreed. Being 3 and under they didn't understand much...I called Romeo's previous owners and asked them and they were sooo happy! :) They said they regretted getting rid of him the entire time but would never have asked for him back and take him away from my kids. Romeo flew out of the car as soon as i opened the door and jumped all over them, they brought a box of his favorite treats and they were all so happy :)   My kids love Bruiser, and so do i <3 

Gave one dog back to his original, happy family and saved a shelter dog; pretty good day (:

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melschlegs
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it would be an incredibly sweet thing for you to do.  

smurfbitebug
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:18 AM
I think that's sweet. I bet he misses them, too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
littlesippycup
by Baby T-rex Arms on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:19 AM
2 moms liked this

Wow you're sweet. Give him back to them. That's amazing how you've even kept contact.

kgsharber
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:21 AM

I would.

We re-homed a lab bc we moved and our closing date was moved back a month, leaving us homeless for a month in a hotel until the new house was ready. The new owners couldn't care for him and gave him back and it was the best day ever!! We loved him and felt so much better the second time around.

fairyjester
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:22 AM

i think it would be an incredible sweet and selfless thing to do

"oh look they ate a baby,  how rude"---  Monroe

shortycmlb
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Honestly? I'd offer if I were you. 

WashingtonMom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:23 AM

I would probably take the dog back to visit them, and if he runs back like nothing had changed and is still super excited to see them (which he likely will), I would let the prior owners keep him at that point.  Maybe you can pick out another dog with your kids so they will feel more involved - and if it's a puppy they'll get the grow up time together. Honestly they are probably glad he is with a good family but would love to have him back all the same. 

We have a cat that we took in from a very good friend of mine and she is the sweetest kitty we've ever had. If she asked for the cat back, I would give her back - not so much because she's a friend but because that would be a better environment for the kitty. She needs to be an only cat. 

Mel0dy
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:24 AM

I think it would be really awesome of you if you did. 

KyrinM
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:24 AM

I think you should.  They obviously really miss their dog & if your kids won't mind, then I think they would be very happy to have their Romeo back.  Talk to the kids, tell them what you told us & see what they want to do, if they have hearts as big as their Mom's, I am sure they will suggest giving him back. Anyway, whatever you decide, I think you are really great for thinking of it, even if you decide not to follow through.

b0bbied0ll
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:30 AM

I would at least offer it. I am sure they would be extremely grateful.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)