Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Take It Or Not??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies

Recently I was diganosed with Crohns Disease and have been unable to even get out of bed at times or even move far from the toliet. Ive been in the hospital twice now since December to see whats going on and to regain strength. The question here is should I attempt to go back to the work force and just inform the employer from the start of my condition or should I just stay home with the kids and claim disablity?? My husband does work a decent job and we been living off his income for over a year while I was home. My husband says its up to me if I want to return to work but Im worried that most employers wont take me.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Aslen
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:05 AM
What about volunteering instead?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:06 AM
If you want to work, it's always worth giving a try! If it doesn't pan out soon, claim disability. Even then you could continue to look.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShanesMommy2012
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:06 AM
This hits close to home, since my mom had Crohns disease and I grew up watching her struggle with her health.
She tried her hardest to work. She had multiple jobs, but was never able to keep them for longer than a week (due to her illness).
I don't want to tell you to give up, but don't feel bad if you end up claiming disability. You have to put your health above anything.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MichelleJ1000
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:08 AM
1 mom liked this
If your disease qualifies you for disabillity and your disease would make it too difficult to hold a job I think you should opt for disability.

That is my opinion and I don't know anything about your illness.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kage336
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Your health is the most important thing. If your gut tells you it'll be too difficult for you to manage, I'd say disability would be the better option.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:24 PM

BUMP!

Bawyada
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:34 PM

It is a disability and if you get a bunch of jobs and leave your employers in the lurch your track record will hurt you in the future if you are able to work.  I say stay at home, why add the extra stress of having to lie in an interview and call in/go home sick all of the time? I don't know much about Crohn's disease but certainly hope you can get help for it or a cure is found soon. You s ound like you feel guilty for staying home be ause you probably have good days. Don't feel guilty, you didn't choose this and be sure to thank your husband for "being one of the good guys" and understanding. As long as he knows that he is appreciated he will continue to not hold it against you! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Yea I feel a bit guilty staying home all the time while my husband is the sole provider. I do tell him every day he is a wonderful husband and father.

Quoting Bawyada:

It is a disability and if you get a bunch of jobs and leave your employers in the lurch your track record will hurt you in the future if you are able to work.  I say stay at home, why add the extra stress of having to lie in an interview and call in/go home sick all of the time? I don't know much about Crohn's disease but certainly hope you can get help for it or a cure is found soon. You s ound like you feel guilty for staying home be ause you probably have good days. Don't feel guilty, you didn't choose this and be sure to thank your husband for "being one of the good guys" and understanding. As long as he knows that he is appreciated he will continue to not hold it against you! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)