Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The worst... I need advice (PIOG)

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:29 AM
  • 14 Replies

Yesterday my son woke up with a fever. He was acting fine other than the fact that he was so hot and he was acting extra tired. I wasn't going to take him to the children's nighttime clinic, but we ended up taking him anyway just in case.

After we got there, we sat for 1 1/2 hours. Understandable, but I didn't think to bring his tylenol so his temp was going up most of the time we were there. They took his temperature wrong. I knew the temp they got was way below what his temp actually was. I asked the doctor  to recheck his temp, she didn't. She looks at his ears, says they look perfect. She looks at his throat, says it's a little red but nothing too bad. They did a strep test, said it must be viral since that came back negative, and sent us home.

Pulling into the drive way at home, he started having a seizure. Worst fucking experience of my LIFE. I'll never forget how helpless I felt and how awful it was.

So we called an ambulance. We get to the hospital and the second the doctor looks in his throat he said "wow he's got blisters" and checked his ears, found an ear infection in both. His temperature was 103.3, not 100.

I told that bitch doctor that she was wrong, and something was wrong with my son. Doctors need to listen to mothers more. We might not have a degree, but when it comes to our own children, we know wtf is normal and what isn't.

Thankfully he is fine now (it was a febrile seizure aka fever seizure).  I'd like to never repeat this experience, ever, in my life.  I honestly think I need mental help now, though. I don't know how to deal with all the emotions and thoughts I'm having, and I can't stop replaying it all in my head. I know it only happened last night and it's still fresh, so I know it will get better, but I can't handle it right now.  Does anyone have any advice on how to stop the whole thing from replaying in my head every time I close my eyes? Or how to NOT become the worst kind of helicopter mother after this? I'm really freaking out in my head.

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:35 AM
breathe. in and out slow breathes. watch your child sleep. and think of things you need to get done in your head. like a tv change the channel.
svolkov
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:38 AM
Next time insist. If you KNOW it was wrong make them retake it
My oldest used to get fevers of 105-106 when he was 2-3. He had a febrile seizure once....luckily I knew what it was and didnt freak but it was still pretty dang scary
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
WashingtonMom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry, I'm no help. I have anxiety when it comes to DD for anything that would even remotely be harmful to her in the smallest way. lol :(   She could trip and stumble, not even falling down, and I will immediately go to the "what if she had fallen flat on her face, smashed her nose and skull, etc" thoughts ... no help at all here!!  I just resign myself to no sleep some nights when it's really bad. Or, I'll take melatonin/benadryl/sleepquill or something like that, then read a book, play candy crush or some other mindless game, until I can't keep my eyes open any more. 

I would possibly take the diagnosis from the hospital back to the urgent care and tell them you want your bill taken care of. If they had listened to you and rechecked the temp, you might not have had to experience this. I can't say why the doctor didn't see ear infections in both ears tho... o.O Don't go back to that nighttime ped clinic if you can help it. Leave them a neg review online with Google or something. 

AidansMomMom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:41 AM

I've heard of the febrile seizures before, but I'd never read about them or anything. I didn't know the details, and I didn't know he wasn't going to die. And I honestly don't think it would have made it much better knowing about it, because that was seriously the worst thing I've ever seen. I keep thinking I would rather be dead than have to see it every time I close my eyes. I'm being tortured by my own brain.

Quoting svolkov:

My oldest used to get fevers of 105-106 when he was 2-3. He had a febrile seizure once....luckily I knew what it was and didnt freak but it was still pretty dang scary

AidansMomMom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:43 AM

I've always been like that with him too, but I've always been able to ignore it pretty well. I can't ignore this one though. He's still fevering unless I keep him doped up on tylenol so I have to wake him every 4 hours, so I can't take anything to help me sleep either. I feel hungover from not sleeping much and I don't know what to do with myself.

Quoting WashingtonMom:

I'm sorry, I'm no help. I have anxiety when it comes to DD for anything that would even remotely be harmful to her in the smallest way. lol :(   She could trip and stumble, not even falling down, and I will immediately go to the "what if she had fallen flat on her face, smashed her nose and skull, etc" thoughts ... no help at all here!!  I just resign myself to no sleep some nights when it's really bad. Or, I'll take melatonin/benadryl/sleepquill or something like that, then read a book, play candy crush or some other mindless game, until I can't keep my eyes open any more. 

I would possibly take the diagnosis from the hospital back to the urgent care and tell them you want your bill taken care of. If they had listened to you and rechecked the temp, you might not have had to experience this. I can't say why the doctor didn't see ear infections in both ears tho... o.O Don't go back to that nighttime ped clinic if you can help it. Leave them a neg review online with Google or something. 

hlzcmjzajz
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:44 AM
I can tell you from experience (my ds had 4 febrile seizures between the ages of 11 months & 2 years) that there really is nothing but time that will make it better. Honestly, I still freak a little whenever he or my dd has a fever; & I ALWAYS make sure I have Tylenol AND Ibuprofen available, no matter where we are. At the slightest hint of a fever, I am taking their temps & if its elevated at all they get Tylenol.
My ds's first seizure was one of the scariest times of my life & it still replays in my head from time to time. I do feel a little more "experienced" (I guess?) so I don't worry AS MUCH, but I do still worry.
I'm sorry you had to experience it & I hope your ds feels better soon.
svolkov
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:46 AM
If u actually knew more about them u wouldnt habe freaked so badly. While scary they arent life threatening. I knew the details before so it wasnt that crazy...plus id worked with kids who have seizures too

Quoting AidansMomMom:

I've heard of the febrile seizures before, but I'd never read about them or anything. I didn't know the details, and I didn't know he wasn't going to die. And I honestly don't think it would have made it much better knowing about it, because that was seriously the worst thing I've ever seen. I keep thinking I would rather be dead than have to see it every time I close my eyes. I'm being tortured by my own brain.

Quoting svolkov:

AidansMomMom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:46 AM

This is the complete opposite of what I wanted to hear. I wish I could have selective amnesia and forget about the part where I saw it happening.

Quoting hlzcmjzajz:

I can tell you from experience (my ds had 4 febrile seizures between the ages of 11 months & 2 years) that there really is nothing but time that will make it better. Honestly, I still freak a little whenever he or my dd has a fever; & I ALWAYS make sure I have Tylenol AND Ibuprofen available, no matter where we are. At the slightest hint of a fever, I am taking their temps & if its elevated at all they get Tylenol.
My ds's first seizure was one of the scariest times of my life & it still replays in my head from time to time. I do feel a little more "experienced" (I guess?) so I don't worry AS MUCH, but I do still worry.

hlzcmjzajz
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:50 AM
I'm sorry, I didn't want to lie & say that I was able to forget it... :(
It does get better with time though, I promise. Just make sure you're always prepared & don't EVER let another dr brush you off or tell you that you don't know what's going on with your own child.

Quoting AidansMomMom:

This is the complete opposite of what I wanted to hear. I wish I could have selective amnesia and forget about the part where I saw it happening.

Quoting hlzcmjzajz:

NicoleR13
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:51 AM
I would definitely take my hospital papers to that urgent care. If anything that doctor should have seen the blisters and she should have re-checked temp since you requested it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)