Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should prisoners organs be donated?

Posted by   + Show Post
I am watching an old episode of Grey's Anatomy and thought of something...

Should prisoners be forced for donate their organs if they are healthy enough for donation? (ETA: upon their death, if they die in prison custody)

What about those on death row? I am not sure of the legalities, but the show made it seem as if the organs were not able to be donated after execution. Should those with healthy organs have the option to donate their organs and die on an operating table versus the needle?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:02 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:22 AM

FORCED to donate them? no.

RandiBear
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:22 AM

If they die by lethal injection their organs are no longer viable because of the chemicals injected into them. I know know it sounds like a good idea,  but the legalities and logistics are really improbable. I mean, organ donation requires healthy organs and a lot of the people in prison don't fit that mold...and if a prisoner dies from wounds, they have to do an investigation before the body or any parts can be released. If they die of natural causes, their organs likely wont be salvagable by the time they get to them (many die of heart attacks in their sleep and aren't discovered until morning). But many, MANY lifers end up with things like HepC and such. Also, regardless of the crime they commited, they still have rights (stupidly more than their victims in most cases) and they have the right to decide what to do with their bodies.

I think if there is no family to step up to claim the body and no plans have been set in place, the body should be donated to science though.

SageAdvice
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:23 AM
1 mom liked this

You know even today with all our technology there is still a risk from transplants  and such. I do know this first hand, some people who are on the transplant list are sometimes given the option of an organ that isn't totally healthy and all most always they DECIDE to take the organ anyway, even knowing there's a HUGE risk. If I was dying I'd openly welcome a HIV positive organ over guaranteed death within days. People with AIDS live 20 years and more now adays. I'd take one with Hep C also. I'd be alive at least.

Quoting mommytoacloud:

Quoting bellawomen:

just knowing the behavior something such as hiv could be lying in wait you just never could know for sure

Some times you just have to punt the ball.
oliver92
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I do not feel that any person should be forced to donate their organs, its a personal choice and just because your in prison does not mean someone should just be able to chop you up and send your pieces off... we are not running a nazi camp for goodness sakes.

mommytoacloud
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:29 AM
Idk what id do i watched a movie called And Then There Was One pretty much lady has m/c ends up getting preggo havin a baby baby gets sick family finds out they all have aids husband and baby die i also doubt you would liv.very long with an infected organ transplants kill the immune system
dmarie2101
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:29 AM
1 mom liked this

harvesting the orgasms of dead prisoners sounds...messy. 

Quoting GirlWSemiAuto:

Oooh.. Interesting idea, although I don't agree with forcing anyone to donate anything, even after death. Because my grandfather (and biggest positive influence) was granted extra years on this earth because of an organ donor, my emotional side thinks harvesting the orgasms of deceased prisoners is a win win. But my libertarian conscience overrules my emotions.

GirlWSemiAuto
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:37 AM
Eeeewwwww... Darn phone.

Quoting dmarie2101:

harvesting the orgasms of dead prisoners sounds...messy. 

Quoting GirlWSemiAuto:

Oooh.. Interesting idea, although I don't agree with forcing anyone to donate anything, even after death. Because my grandfather (and biggest positive influence) was granted extra years on this earth because of an organ donor, my emotional side thinks harvesting the orgasms of deceased prisoners is a win win. But my libertarian conscience overrules my emotions.

bellawomen
by Summer on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:23 AM
HIV is able to be detected within 2 week after exposure. Those on death row are in solitary confinement with no contact with others. It dies when exposed to air so transmission is not easy. Hepatitis is another beast.

HIV doesn't just 'lay in wait'. You either have it or you don't. There are very rare people who are carriers but don't develop HIV, but to my knowledge said people have only been discovered in Africa. They still test positive in some fashion, they just are not affected like most.

Quoting mommytoacloud:

Quoting bellawomen:

just knowing the behavior something such as hiv could be lying in wait you just never could know for sure
Supervane
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:25 AM
Forced no, should it be an option yes of course
HyrulianHeroine
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:27 AM
Yes
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN