Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should prisoners organs be donated?

Posted by   + Show Post
I am watching an old episode of Grey's Anatomy and thought of something...

Should prisoners be forced for donate their organs if they are healthy enough for donation? (ETA: upon their death, if they die in prison custody)

What about those on death row? I am not sure of the legalities, but the show made it seem as if the organs were not able to be donated after execution. Should those with healthy organs have the option to donate their organs and die on an operating table versus the needle?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:02 AM
Replies (21-28):
SexyWitch
by on Jun. 7, 2013 at 8:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Rough one.  As my son is a heart transplant recipient, I believe everyone should be an organ donor.  Prisoners as organ donors is a touchy subject as organ cells have memory and some research has shown that an organ recipient exhibits some traits/thoughts/etc. of the organ donor.  Unfortunately, the organ recipient is not made aware of who the donor is before the transplant (and sometimes not even after the transplant).  I do believe that prisoners who have committed the most heinous crimes should be used as lab research instead of animals.

peachesforme
by Gold Member on Jun. 7, 2013 at 9:00 PM

I would feel very weird having a mass murderer's organ in me, but if I had no other choice other than death, maybe I'd change my mind. I think if you are a criminal you shouldn't have rights or a choice.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 7, 2013 at 9:04 PM
No. They are at a higher risk for hiv and hepatitis. Also, I would not want an evil person's organs inside of me.
got2monsters
by Ruby Member on Jun. 7, 2013 at 9:10 PM
Yes they should have to donate. I'm a huge fan of organ donation and capital punishment so this is a no brainer to me.

They are property of the state or federal government while incarcerated, why should that change after death? That body should still be considered government property and should be used for the benefit of society.

For clarity: NO I dont think they should be killed specifically for thier organs, but thier organs should be used after a natural death, or the death penalty.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bellawomen
by Summer on Jun. 7, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Because of the cocktail used, I am not sure organs could be used after lethal injection.

Quoting got2monsters:

Yes they should have to donate. I'm a huge fan of organ donation and capital punishment so this is a no brainer to me.

They are property of the state or federal government while incarcerated, why should that change after death? That body should still be considered government property and should be used for the benefit of society.

For clarity: NO I dont think they should be killed specifically for thier organs, but thier organs should be used after a natural death, or the death penalty.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 7, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Not unless they or the immediate family consent to it.  

got2monsters
by Ruby Member on Jun. 7, 2013 at 10:47 PM
It could be done another way to avoid that problem.

Quoting bellawomen:

Because of the cocktail used, I am not sure organs could be used after lethal injection.

Quoting got2monsters:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SexyWitch
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I can see that some of these comments appear to be from people who really aren't informed about the true information about organ donation, therefore, they are immediately against it.  No one takes your organs because they have a friend/family member, etc. that needs a particular organ.  That would be ridiculous...the cells, blood, etc. have to be a perfect match and organ transplant is done through a transplant organization...and no one walks into a hospital with a heart in a cooler and says "here this is for my aunt, etc.".  The other comment about hiv/hepatitis...all organs are screened very, very carefully for any diseases, the donor is tested for vascular, blood, etc. issues.  If the donor has any, the organ is not taken.  Where does everyone get their information about organ donation?  We need organs, people.  No one is going to kill you or let you die just because they know someone who needs an organ.  Seriously!  Get the true information and become a donor.  You may be saving the life of someone you love!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)