Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I hate it when people tell me to eat (*May trigger)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies
I have been struggling with anorexia and bulemia for almost 5 years. Things got better when I found out I was pregnant because I knew purging would be harmful to my baby. Now that LO is here, I'm finding it hard to eat again. I am a F/T student and don't really have time to sit down for a meal and sometimes I don't want to. When I do eat it is because I want my DC to have the proper nutrition, but sometimes I go overboard with sweets and feel the urge. LO is getting older though and I am forgetting my meals during the day and snacking on mostly unhealthy stuff. DH keeps bugging me about eating and so are family telling me not to worry about dropping weight, but I dropped down to my pre-baby weight 1 month after birth.

DH does not know about the purging and I think he views me not eating as just being irresponsible. I am afraid to tell him because I don't want him to think he needs to watch me and monitor my bathroom visits. Most of all, I don't want him to think that I am purging now and preventing LO from getting nutritious milk.
Should I tell him?

I DO try to incorporate real meals weekly with protein and vegetables, but this is about 3x per week. I snack on apples and plums every now and then too. I'm afraid that I will fall back into my old habits. And yes, I do have a therapist. I'm going to make another appoint next week.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
unsuspected
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Are you nursing? That burns calories. But you need to eat to provide.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Journeysmama11
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Are you breastfeeding at all? If you are you need to maintain healthy eating habits for baby's nutrition still. If not, you still need to be healthy to be at your best for your baby. I struggled with not eating for a while and pregnancy/wanting to be pregnant helped me. I still stuggle sometimes with not wanting to eat, but I have to be at my best for my kids. Stay strong for baby! :)

ballerina18
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:54 AM

Honestly, I think it would be helpful if you told your DH.Tell him your fears and how you don't want him to monitor your behavior. Just tell him to try to be as supportive as possible. It might even be a great idea if you both went to talk to your therapist together. Also, I know you are busy, but do you and your family eat meals together? I think it would be helpful if you could all sit down together and eat as a family.

Good luck!

svolkov
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:54 AM
1 mom liked this
If u r breastfeeding the baby will take everything from u. Ifbu dont get enougj food it will take it from your body or your milk production will decrease. Besides beimg unhealthy its dangerous. Tell your dh and talk to yoir dr asap
mudwrap
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:55 AM
Don't you feel weak not eating?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Yes. And I've noticed my supply has decreased this semester. When I'm stressed I eat less.

Quoting Journeysmama11:

Are you breastfeeding at all? If you are you need to maintain healthy eating habits for baby's nutrition still. If not, you still need to be healthy to be at your best for your baby. I struggled with not eating for a while and pregnancy/wanting to be pregnant helped me. I still stuggle sometimes with not wanting to eat, but I have to be at my best for my kids. Stay strong for baby! :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:56 AM
I've almost fainted outside a few times, but that only happens when my blood sugar is really low.

Quoting mudwrap:

Don't you feel weak not eating?
BeAmour
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I'm a fan of smoothies! It helps if I forget to eat.

To answer your question, YES I would tell your DH.

It will hold you accountable and be transparent with him. Allow him to monitor your bathroom visits. It will make you more conscious into not purging.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:58 AM
I'm not trying to lose weight. I already reached my PP goal. I am just struggling with my stress and anxiety.

Quoting unsuspected:

Are you nursing? That burns calories. But you need to eat to provide.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:59 AM
I'm not purging now, but I'm worried that I will once I stop BF. I think if I tell him I will get worse.

Quoting BeAmour:

I'm a fan of smoothies! It helps if I forget to eat.

To answer your question, YES I would tell your DH.

It will hold you accountable and be transparent with him. Allow him to monitor your bathroom visits. It will make you more conscious into not purging.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)