Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Okay mom's so I saw this comment where a mom posted something about most of CM members having "medical problems" and it got me curious.

What's your official diagnosis and how long have you been diagnosed with it. I'll go first.

Mental:

Bipolar-Disorder with schizoaffective ---16 years

PTSD --- 10 years

Physical:

APS (Hughes Syndrome) --- 8 years

SLE (Systemic Lupus Erythematosus) --- 1 year 1 month

Please no bashing. This is just to get people talking, not a place to be judgemental.

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:05 AM
Replies (201-210):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 22 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:39 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm not proud of having a serious mental illness.  I am proud however that I have overcome it after 10 years of struggling and have been able to cope and have a child and be happy.

It takes a lot of work to stay level and I am proud of it.

I also share that I have it so end the stigma of shame that is attached to mental illness.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'll never understand what makes people so proud of their health "problems."  Is it the satisfaction of going to the doctor and being paid attention to?  Having a go-to excuse for just about anything? Or do you like the sympathy from others when you rattle off your list of diseases?

I'm not talking about being proud of overcoming a real, verifiable disease - like say, cancer - BTW. I'm talking about the ailments du jour that you suddenly develop after seeing a commercial on daytime TV for a pill to cure it. 

ohmommi
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:45 PM
General anxiety, social anxiety and ptsd. I've had both my anxieties for as long as I can remember but they got officially diagnosed along with my ptsd at 14, thanks to a horrible freshman year of high school.
MamaAjax
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Now I've gone over 19 pages with very positive response, even from those with no health problems. And I've been able to share a lot of information that I've gained over the years.

Diseases are real and they are something people do have to deal with. If you do not have to deal with yourself. Awesome. I love knowing there are happy healthy people out there.

We don't choose these issues. I'm sure the two moms on here who beat cancer in this post didn't choose to get cancer so they can brag that they beat it, just like I am sure the one mom who has Cerbal Palsy didn't say as a baby "You know what, I want this issue for the rest of my life."

Talking openly about these issues raises awarness. By god I pray that you never get health problems, I wouldn't want anyone to wake up and go through some of the days that I have. And the awarness needs to be raise because what if 20 years from now some kid who's mom had to suffer from one of these illnesses and was taught openly about it, happens to be the doctor who cures it.

Leprosy use to be thought as a disease that only sodmites got because of thier sinful ways. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I'll never understand what makes people so proud of their health "problems."  Is it the satisfaction of going to the doctor and being paid attention to?  Having a go-to excuse for just about anything? Or do you like the sympathy from others when you rattle off your list of diseases?

MamaAjax
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:51 PM

shake hand

LOL! Amen. That's good. I'm a huge supporter of more "whole health wellness"

I understand that some diseases do benifit from western meds, but so does a healthy active lifestyle.

Quoting kryptomom:

Mental - 0

Physical - 0

I avoid doctors like the plague.

wkukid
by Beach Bum on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:51 PM

I have severe PTSD diagnosed about three years ago caused by my childhood. Generalized anxiety disorder diagnosed the same time also caused by childhood. Hypothyroidism diagnosed maybe 5 years ago. That's all. Oh seasonal allergies.

MamaAjax
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:52 PM

OMG A Math learning disorder! I tested for that my sophmore year of college. My parents just thought I was "lazy"

Quoting Anonymous:

bipolar disorder 1 -15 yrs

obsessive compulsive disorder - 8 years

ptsd -7 years

and dyscalculia?  It's not a "diagnosis" it's a learning disability that can make daily life a little harder in some ways, I have difficulty with facial recognition, I can't visualize distances, directions, or spacial differences, I can't comprehend math equations (but I can memorize them and use a calculator), I can't sort out mirror images among some of the issues.

LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Juvenile diabetes. 19 years.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
trailerrrtrash
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Nothing official.

Pretty sure I have no mental issues, none that require diagnosis anyway.

I have something going down with my right leg. My ankle swells up and my knee hurts and my hip likes to try to kill me sometimes. Once in a while it'll give out on me and I'll fall. I don't know what it is, I don't have insurance. I have to be careful and pay attention to how much I'm on my feet and sit down for a while. Which I hate, I can't stand sitting when I have things that need doing. Sometimes I keep pushing it, but then I'm sorry later. I was told to take Aleve or Ibuprofen, but it doesn't help anything.

Anyway, that's all lol

spastic_poodle
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:55 PM
Did you have a positive antibody test for your lupus diagnosis?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaAjax
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Oh goodness hun, I understand you don't have insurance, but maybe look around. There's lots of "free" clinics that doctors volunteer for. That sounds like a vein issue, poor circulation, and if it is that's something that's very dangerous.

Also call around. Little kept secret is doctors actually tend to be willing to work with you. Like my psych. My insurance doesn't cover him, and his rates are $250 an hour, however after working with him I pay $75 per a visit, it helps that I only see him once every 3 months.

Quoting trailerrrtrash:

Nothing official.

Pretty sure I have no mental issues, none that require diagnosis anyway.

I have something going down with my right leg. My ankle swells up and my knee hurts and my hip likes to try to kill me sometimes. Once in a while it'll give out on me and I'll fall. I don't know what it is, I don't have insurance. I have to be careful and pay attention to how much I'm on my feet and sit down for a while. Which I hate, I can't stand sitting when I have things that need doing. Sometimes I keep pushing it, but then I'm sorry later. I was told to take Aleve or Ibuprofen, but it doesn't help anything.

Anyway, that's all lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)