Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mini-Messes...ALL DAY LONG!

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:10 AM
  • 8 Replies

Mobile Photo

This is the MOST frustrating thing for me, as a SAHM...

I asked my almost 2 year old to go pick out a book. She pulls 1/2 of the shelf out onto the floor. she delights in destruction.

So my sister says, in her best judgmental tone (because she's raised 3 -- 20 years ago -- and knows best, "Well, make her help you clean it up." Yes, that's good and fine, and I do, and she does.

But the point is that cleaning up, even with help from the 2 year old that made te mess, is time consuming. I have so many other things that need to get done, and very little time to do them in.

I love her, but putting her in daycare and going to a desk job would be like a vacation. The best part would be that I would come home to the house looking just like I left it...not messy.

Do you ever feel the same?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Acid
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:12 AM

She's two for heaven's sake.

You can't expect her to be able to stop all the books from falling out.

Wow.

spunky946
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:15 AM
I make them clean up once a day before dinner or bed. I don't sweat the small things like books on the floor all day.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:15 AM

I pick and clean all day long behind my 2 yr old. He does help me pick up because we make a game out of it. They are 2 and it is expected. It comes with being a mom. If you want less mess then you are going to have to limit her access to whatever she makes a mess of. If her mess with the books is over whelming then just leave a book or two in her reach and then the problem is solved. 

Rhodin
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:15 AM

I"ve found that baskets are easier for my kids than stacking the books on shelves.  They load the baskets and I put them back on the shelves.  Yes, it looks like hell, but only if you look directly down into the top of the basket.

PinkyPan
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:18 AM

We use a basket for books too.

Quoting Rhodin:

I"ve found that baskets are easier for my kids than stacking the books on shelves.  They load the baskets and I put them back on the shelves.  Yes, it looks like hell, but only if you look directly down into the top of the basket.

Kimberlynn
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:23 AM
LOL! That's what my 4 year old and my 10 month old daughters do! That picture you posted looks like my living room every day. We clean it up before bed. If it drives me too crazy, I just turn the book shelf around (it's just two shelves high, so it's easy).
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:43 AM
Um, I have a 2 1/2yr old boy and a 1yr old girl. Yeah it's frustrating. The worst part is I work 12hr night shifts. And have a 6yr old in school with homework. My husband is a truck driver ad gone a lot. So those mini messes become huge messes for me over a 2 day period. Then I spend 8-12 hrs on my days off cleaning, grocery shopping, cooking, and doing laundry.
It's a short lived time period. If we survive we'll miss it because as mothers we are programmed to forget how horrible they are. Lol. Hang in there momma. It gets better.....when they move out I think.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:50 AM
She's two...it happens. Less toys=less mess. Put some books away and rotate them. There may be too many books in the shelf for her to get the one she wants. They are still working on all their motor skills. I have a 3&5 year old. I know all about the messes. Your sister is right, have her help clean up. She's not too young to form good habits :-). Both mine help me dust now. It may not be perfect, but its done.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)