Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Most people collecting disability payments could work - true or false?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Most people collecting disability payments could work

Options:

I know this is true

I think this is more likely to be true than to be false

Don't know / No Opinion / Other / Equally likely

I think this is more likely to be false than to be true

I know this is false

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 162

View Results

Someone in another thread made a claim:

most COULD work if they tried to find a job that fit them. If they need job training and assistance with placement, that's fine and absolutley I'd love to pay for it. But I am not willing to pay for people because they can't do the job that they want to do and don't want to do the job they can.

Do you think the claim is true or false?

What is your evidence?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:26 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:44 AM
I don't know. I'm not their doctor.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this
I can only speak for my husband, he cannot work with the general public. He's got too many people disorders. He gets SSD because of it. He's also ex military. The army broke him and now he is unable to work.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:46 AM
4 moms liked this

The people I know who are on disability manage to do the things they want and like to do and are pretty active. Funny how that works.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:47 AM
My aunt before she died (god bless her soul) she got disability b/c she had both 1/2 her lungs removed, so walking was pure hell to her.

But my uncle, not a daum thing wrong with his a$$! & he got disability! Smfh plus! He has a "contractor job" under the table so he can make more $$$! F'in scum!

It's people like my crappy uncle who puts a bad word on "people on disability".
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:48 AM
PTSD?

Quoting Anonymous:

I can only speak for my husband, he cannot work with the general public. He's got too many people disorders. He gets SSD because of it. He's also ex military. The army broke him and now he is unable to work.
SoKamele
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Yes.......I think they need to do away with it (except for the absolute true cases).....and make them get/find/help them........jobs that they can do.....and then supplement.

dbrown1989
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:49 AM
1 mom liked this

There is fraud, but 90% of these people genuinely need this money. (PS I work in vocational rehab and I know this info is true because I see if all first hand every single day)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:49 AM

There's some situations of course like this. I hate people who use things like depression as a reason though and get disability for it. Or those that use back injuries that happened years ago you can catch them on the ski slopes but some how not working a job. I think as PA is abused this is also some times abused. You have those that need it and use it for the right reasons and others that don't. 

jeweldragons
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:49 AM

That depends on their disablity.  Some people have severe anxiety or PTSD where they just CANNOT work with people.  This could be due to a vet getting back from a war, a victim of child abuse, or a victim of molestation/kidnapping.

Some people have a severe physical disbality where they would be unable to say stand on their feet all day long or unable to work. 

I tried getting SSI and was denied.  I appealed and was denied again.  It is VERY HARD to get SSI or Disablity payments from the government-especially if you have multiple mental illnesses like I do which make you unable to work.  I'm no longer planning on appealing it.  I only applied at the suggestion of my mother and grandmother.  Some places are biased against SSI.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:50 AM
PTSD.
GAD.
Severe depression.
Can't be in large groups.

Quoting Anonymous:

PTSD?

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)