Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Most people collecting disability payments could work - true or false?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Most people collecting disability payments could work

Options:

I know this is true

I think this is more likely to be true than to be false

Don't know / No Opinion / Other / Equally likely

I think this is more likely to be false than to be true

I know this is false

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 162

View Results

Someone in another thread made a claim:

most COULD work if they tried to find a job that fit them. If they need job training and assistance with placement, that's fine and absolutley I'd love to pay for it. But I am not willing to pay for people because they can't do the job that they want to do and don't want to do the job they can.

Do you think the claim is true or false?

What is your evidence?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:26 AM
Replies (171-175):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:55 PM

How many 40 yr old men do you know who scream like a 3 yr old if the room goes dark .  He cant ride in a elevator and can only use the bathroom with the door open  because he cant handle small spaces .

Quoting Anonymous:

i get that he's had a tough time in life...but i'm failing to see why that qualifies him to recieve disability.

there are millions of people who have been abused young in life and still work

Quoting Anonymous:

I know of a few women who have actually coached and trained their kids to play crazy  to get those big checks for them .  It a shame .  I also have a family member who deserves to get a check on every odd day of the month  but he does not qualify  and he is crazy ass hell .  The people who really deserve these checks  dont qualify for them . This man is a person with severe problems .  He was abused by his mothers boyfriend for 7 years and when he was 7 he watched his abuser murder his mother  and then himself . 

mommy_Frias
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:59 PM
It's 50/50 I literally know some who gets "hurt" time and time again and files.for.it over And over and when that didn't work.had her husband apply and some way she got it. And there is nothing wrong with her . I know this for a fact... And all the while the rest of us have to work for a living
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
scribemommeg
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:03 PM

I'm half and half on this. My mother is on disability. She went on disability just a few years ago after being a police officer, putting herself through college and becoming a criminal justice professor. She worked as long as she could and never once thought of disability until it was beyond a suggestion by her doctor. My aunt has polio. She worked through painful days, painful surgeries, and up until her 50s. When the polio in one leg caused so much pain she could no longer stand it, then she went on disability. Now, on the flip side I have a few friends who are drawing disability for things that are medically manageable and would allow them to work, but the minute the doctor said okay they hand their hand out for checks. I don't agree with it. I think they can work, but they have medical reason that the goverment accepts.

fourandhoping
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:19 AM
I think many do fake/exaggerate to draw. I have too many clients and their parents drawing "their pay" and sitting home doing drugs, making more babies, etc. They often manage to wind up on my service for abusing their kids/siblings or not keeping the house clean or drug use. I think if you can use drugs, make more babies, and abuse your kids you aren't too disabled to work. Even at a sheltered workshop. Something other than costing taxpayers money while you break the law.
However, that said, my dad is on disability at age 62. He had an aortic aneurysm and a heart defect that caused his top half of heart to be replaced. He also had lung cancer and is on oxygen. He fought hard to keep a job but the doctor straight up told him any physical work would kill him. He got his disability immediately - no denial on te first round.
So some people are legit. Other people need to work on their issues, take their meds (in the case of mental health issues) and go to work.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gemikris82
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:52 PM
Thank you so much!
Quoting MomofHDFandNWF:

I wish you the best as you start working again!

hugs

Quoting gemikris82:

i have disability for having bipolar.  its not an easy process.  and its not alot of money either.  you make more working.  when i was first diagnosed with bipolar, i had 3 hospital stays back to back. when i got out of the hospital i had a meeting with my boss.  she was the one who suggested i file for disability.  her neice was bipolar and killed herself so she was very sympathetic towards me, and she didnt want to see me spiral down.  for a few years i was in a dark place, and needed therapy and such.  im working part time now, but im entering back into the working world slowly.  im not taking on 40+ hours a week right away. im starting off part time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)