Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Most people collecting disability payments could work - true or false?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Most people collecting disability payments could work

Options:

I know this is true

I think this is more likely to be true than to be false

Don't know / No Opinion / Other / Equally likely

I think this is more likely to be false than to be true

I know this is false

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 162

View Results

Someone in another thread made a claim:

most COULD work if they tried to find a job that fit them. If they need job training and assistance with placement, that's fine and absolutley I'd love to pay for it. But I am not willing to pay for people because they can't do the job that they want to do and don't want to do the job they can.

Do you think the claim is true or false?

What is your evidence?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:26 AM
Replies (21-30):
do11face
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:52 AM

How the hell should I know?

Both my parents are on disability due to medical problems. They both need it.

CuriousArentYa
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:55 AM

My stepdad used to be an investigator for the VA and he found more people taking advantage and working under the table than not. He was a paid investigator and the VA never once prosecuted or took away benefits even with solid proof. He ended up resigning due to being so frustrated. 

KayelynnsMama
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:56 AM

I don't know. My step dad has MS and absolutly can not work. He had several different doctors and nerologists write letters for him and he kept getting denied. After 3 years and having to get a lawyer and go to court, he finally got approved. I can't see too many people who don't need it getting approved when he had such a hard time.

Also, I think telling someone to find a job they could do sounds like an awesome idea.. But when you've done something your entire life, there aren't too many people willling to hire you on a different profession with no experience.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:56 AM
Some people have severe depression that makes it very difficult to keep a job

Quoting Anonymous:

There's some situations of course like this. I hate people who use things like depression as a reason though and get disability for it. Or those that use back injuries that happened years ago you can catch them on the ski slopes but some how not working a job. I think as PA is abused this is also some times abused. You have those that need it and use it for the right reasons and others that don't. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:57 AM
I somewhat agree my bil gets ssd because he broke his back about 6 years ago. He can work he has had many jobs since his accident. He is too lazy to hold a job it has nothing to do with his accident
jdy9440
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

I can only speak for my husband, he cannot work with the general public. He's got too many people disorders. He gets SSD because of it. He's also ex military. The army broke him and now he is unable to work.

what do you mean by people disorders ?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:58 AM
My DH gets disability from the VA and works two jobs.
rosaleeandtwo
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:59 AM
1 mom liked this

False.  When SSA determines disability the applicant often has to go to doctors appts ordered by SSA where they determine if there are other jobs the applicant could do even with the disability.  If there are more than one or two jobs, the applicant is oftened denied (even if the jobs the applicant COULD do arent even available in the area they live). 

My evidence is working for social security lawyers for almost 10 years.  Its also a falsehood that people on disability dont work. Many do work, just not a full time job like they used to do (or try to do before their disability got too bad).

My son is on SSI....I work.

mariesmama
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:00 AM

no my husband has aspergers and a genius iq he has gotten fired from every single job he has ever had due to problems relating to coworkers

gemikris82
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:04 AM

i have disability for having bipolar.  its not an easy process.  and its not alot of money either.  you make more working.  when i was first diagnosed with bipolar, i had 3 hospital stays back to back. when i got out of the hospital i had a meeting with my boss.  she was the one who suggested i file for disability.  her neice was bipolar and killed herself so she was very sympathetic towards me, and she didnt want to see me spiral down.  for a few years i was in a dark place, and needed therapy and such.  im working part time now, but im entering back into the working world slowly.  im not taking on 40+ hours a week right away. im starting off part time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)