Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Most people collecting disability payments could work - true or false?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Most people collecting disability payments could work

Options:

I know this is true

I think this is more likely to be true than to be false

Don't know / No Opinion / Other / Equally likely

I think this is more likely to be false than to be true

I know this is false

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 162

View Results

Someone in another thread made a claim:

most COULD work if they tried to find a job that fit them. If they need job training and assistance with placement, that's fine and absolutley I'd love to pay for it. But I am not willing to pay for people because they can't do the job that they want to do and don't want to do the job they can.

Do you think the claim is true or false?

What is your evidence?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:26 AM
Replies (31-40):
thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:04 AM

TRUE to a degree.

I am disabled. I've been on and off disability for almost 10 years.

I used to work (hence the OFF) part, but I get sick a lot and miss work and well.. employers dont like that. I also cant attend all my doctors appointments (83 last month..sigh) while working full time, which is probably why I get sick anyways.

If I had a flexible schedule, at a job that could accomodate me, absolutely I'd be working! I hate my life as it is :(

No one wants to be poor and on disability (they go hand in hand) :(

However they make it fucking impossible. We are the scum, the garbage. We are the bain of society. Welfare queens get treated better than us because eventually they WILL have to work and have the potential to actually pay in some taxes, so the government supports the boofers instead of making resources available to help the disabled.

They also SUCK SUCK SUCK on laws. Maternity laws suck, PTO and NPTO laws SUCK, everything SUCKS in this country. 

Theres a girl with downs that works at our local chick fil a. Shes hard to understand but does a good job. She still collects minimal disability, (like 10$ a month I think) but is productive.

If disabled people could get the training, accomodations (like say a chair at a cash register at the supermarket) and support (like flex time for doctors appointments or swing shifts or something) at least half of us wouldn't be totally reliant upon it.

I for one dont intend to sit on my ass going to doctors every day for the rest of my life. I can't speak for anyone else on disability, but the true value in disability is the ability to barely subsist while getting medical care that can help you back on your feet (if you can find it..)

mom2_2542
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:04 AM
Well without their medical records and my doctorate I can't say.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:06 AM

I call bullshit. I've had severe depression/anxiety all of my life. To the point where I have multiple anxiety and panic attacks a day. I hardly ever sleep. I can still hold a job. Can I work some where that requires high stress no. But can I work some where else that is more laid back and easy going yes. Harder to find a job like that yes but it is possible. I also know there are plenty of at home jobs that wouldn't be an issue. My uncle is also severely depressed. More so than I am. He's been on heavy drugs all of his life but never once collected a pay check that didn't require work to get it. He actually found a line of work that he finds therapeutic to his issues. He works one on one with his doctor very closely to keep himself in check.

If someone is so bad off depression wise they should go and get medication or behavioral therapy to get better there's ways to fix it. Work closely with a doctor and a therapist. Its not like they are missing all of their limbs. They are able to function if they try. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Some people have severe depression that makes it very difficult to keep a job

Quoting Anonymous:

There's some situations of course like this. I hate people who use things like depression as a reason though and get disability for it. Or those that use back injuries that happened years ago you can catch them on the ski slopes but some how not working a job. I think as PA is abused this is also some times abused. You have those that need it and use it for the right reasons and others that don't. 

FL2AK
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:07 AM
2 moms liked this
For Veteran Affairs? VA disability has nothing to do with your ability to work. There is nothing for them to investigate. They only determine a person eligible, they don't determine employability.

Quoting CuriousArentYa:

My stepdad used to be an investigator for the VA and he found more people taking advantage and working under the table than not. He was a paid investigator and the VA never once prosecuted or took away benefits even with solid proof. He ended up resigning due to being so frustrated. 

rosaleeandtwo
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:08 AM

I agree its not an easy process, and its not much.  SSI max is around $700 a month...not enough to live off of even if you get FS (around here anyway).  The only way to "live" off SSI around here is if you also get Section 8, and that waiting list has been closed for years.  The only way to skip the waiting list is to go into a homeless shelter...not an easy process to begin with and especially if you are disabled (or have a disabled child).  So a lot of people on disability still have to find some kind of employment to supplement if they can't live somewhere for free (like family or friends).

Quoting gemikris82:

i have disability for having bipolar.  its not an easy process.  and its not alot of money either.  you make more working.  when i was first diagnosed with bipolar, i had 3 hospital stays back to back. when i got out of the hospital i had a meeting with my boss.  she was the one who suggested i file for disability.  her neice was bipolar and killed herself so she was very sympathetic towards me, and she didnt want to see me spiral down.  for a few years i was in a dark place, and needed therapy and such.  im working part time now, but im entering back into the working world slowly.  im not taking on 40+ hours a week right away. im starting off part time.

Wheepingchree
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:08 AM
My step-dad and I were just talking about this yesterday in reference to how little money NYS has. He was explaining a large reason for that is because of generations of NYC firefighters and police officers collecting disability. These people have great doctors that have no problem contributing to the entitlement-based fraud that's being committed. My step-father is a lawyer who has dealt with many disability suits.
randi1978
by Murdoc's Mistress on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:09 AM

If a person was making a decent amount of money in a specific line of work and ends up disabled from an injury, there is no reason to expect them to take a lower wage job just to keep them off disability/social security.  I know most will disagree, but I would never take a $9.00 a hr job just because I can possibly do it when I am disabled from a job making $25.00 a hour that I worked at for 15, 20 yrs (example, working construction, getting hurt and then being expected to take a cashier job). 

Hezzy1228
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:10 AM
Id have to say it is honestly 50/50, i have bipolar ll disorder and could claim disability like my ex sister in law does for hers but just because i am more emotional than others doesnt make me unable to work lol. my mother has lupus and sjhogrins and it is both a dangerous and potentially deadly disease but she could work so long as it didnt require heavy lifting or standing too long on her feet but is applying for disability (honestly more because of my dad than her, she wants to work but he doesnt want her to). it depends on the persons disability honestly
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notabosley
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this
Ditto, I personally know people on disability benefits. The process is difficult, it's possible to commit fraud, but not as common as bigoted people think.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

I think there is some fraud, but I know how hard it is to get disability. It isn't just something you "sign up for" and get. Most people are denied at least once, if not multiple times

Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:11 AM

It really depends.  

I think there are jobs for people who are intellectually capable of working.  There are opportunities where you don't have to be around people, there are opportunities for people who are home bound.  The problem I have with SSI is my son will eventually need these programs, and I'm afraid that people who have conditions like depression, fibromyalgia, etc are taking away resources from people who really do need help to work.  I honestly think that unless you are on your death bed, or can't intellectually work (my son has an IQ of 50 and can't read or write), then you should be working-- there are a LOT of jobs available on line, you don't even have to leave your home or get out of your PJs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN