Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Most people collecting disability payments could work - true or false?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Most people collecting disability payments could work

Options:

I know this is true

I think this is more likely to be true than to be false

Don't know / No Opinion / Other / Equally likely

I think this is more likely to be false than to be true

I know this is false

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 162

View Results

Someone in another thread made a claim:

most COULD work if they tried to find a job that fit them. If they need job training and assistance with placement, that's fine and absolutley I'd love to pay for it. But I am not willing to pay for people because they can't do the job that they want to do and don't want to do the job they can.

Do you think the claim is true or false?

What is your evidence?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:26 AM
Replies (41-50):
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:13 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with it.

There are different fields, different types of jobs.  My husband works with computer programmers who have MS, who are missing limbs, who are blind, and who are deaf.  My favorite teacher (and best teacher) growing up was my 6th grade teacher, who was blind.

On the other hand, there is my sil.  She has a back problem, yes.  But her main problem now is an oxy addiction.  She has the doctors snowed that her pain is SOOOO bad, she needs the oxy (and assorted other pills).  She got disability first time out.  She's going to have surgery that will fix most of the problems she has physically - yet her doctor told her to continue filling the prescriptions for oxy so the disability people won't question it!  She's 52 and has NO plan to return to work.  Yet she's perfectly capable of going on golf weekends, to the spa, shopping for hours on end.

Can you continue to do the job you have been doing?  Many times not (although my sil could).  Job retraining, even relocation if you live in an area that don't have jobs that you can work - I could see this.  But years and years of checks -no, not when you're not even trying.

kit_manson
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:18 AM
Here's the thing. Yes, there are jobs i could do. They aren't available in my area, i don't have childcare, and i haven't graduated highschool. I'd love to graduate highschool, but the same issues that keep me from working keep me from graduating.

Quoting Anonymous:

It really depends.  

I think there are jobs for people who are intellectually capable of working.  There are opportunities where you don't have to be around people, there are opportunities for people who are home bound.  The problem I have with SSI is my son will eventually need these programs, and I'm afraid that people who have conditions like depression, fibromyalgia, etc are taking away resources from people who really do need help to work.  I honestly think that unless you are on your death bed, or can't intellectually work (my son has an IQ of 50 and can't read or write), then you should be working-- there are a LOT of jobs available on line, you don't even have to leave your home or get out of your PJs.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:19 AM
Almost like "agoraphobia"? (fear of out-side?)

Quoting Anonymous:

PTSD.

GAD.

Severe depression.

Can't be in large groups.

Quoting Anonymous:

PTSD?

Quoting Anonymous:

I can only speak for my husband, he cannot work with the general public. He's got too many people disorders. He gets SSD because of it. He's also ex military. The army broke him and now he is unable to work.

CuriousArentYa
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Yes Veteran Affairs. And people who are getting disability through the VA claim they are disabled for one reason or another. He was hired as an investigator for the VA to go out and find people who who can actually do the things that they claim they cannot, in other words investigating fraudulant claims, most of the people he investigated were not in fact disabled and he found a lot of them actually working under the table when they often claimed that they could not work due to their disablility (whether it was relevant or not to their disability claim). 

Quoting FL2AK:

For Veteran Affairs? VA disability has nothing to do with your ability to work. There is nothing for them to investigate. They only determine a person eligible, they don't determine employability.

Quoting CuriousArentYa:

My stepdad used to be an investigator for the VA and he found more people taking advantage and working under the table than not. He was a paid investigator and the VA never once prosecuted or took away benefits even with solid proof. He ended up resigning due to being so frustrated. 

FL2AK
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:24 AM
2 moms liked this
Work has nothing to do with VA benefits. You can work and still receive the benefits. VA disability is totally different than SSDI or SSI. I have worked with disabled veterans, wounded warriors and the VA for 9 years. Plus I am married to a 60 percent disabled veteran who does the same job that he did in the military but now as a civilian.

Quoting CuriousArentYa:

Yes Veteran Affairs. And people who are getting disability through the VA claim they are disabled for one reason or another. He was hired as an investigator for the VA to go out and find people who who can actually do the things that they claim they cannot, in other words investigating fraudulant claims, most of the people he investigated were not in fact disabled and he found a lot of them actually working under the table when they often claimed that they could not work due to their disablility (whether it was relevant or not to their disability claim). 

Quoting FL2AK:

For Veteran Affairs? VA disability has nothing to do with your ability to work. There is nothing for them to investigate. They only determine a person eligible, they don't determine employability.

Quoting CuriousArentYa:

My stepdad used to be an investigator for the VA and he found more people taking advantage and working under the table than not. He was a paid investigator and the VA never once prosecuted or took away benefits even with solid proof. He ended up resigning due to being so frustrated. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:28 AM

i get that he's had a tough time in life...but i'm failing to see why that qualifies him to recieve disability.

there are millions of people who have been abused young in life and still work

Quoting Anonymous:

I know of a few women who have actually coached and trained their kids to play crazy  to get those big checks for them .  It a shame .  I also have a family member who deserves to get a check on every odd day of the month  but he does not qualify  and he is crazy ass hell .  The people who really deserve these checks  dont qualify for them . This man is a person with severe problems .  He was abused by his mothers boyfriend for 7 years and when he was 7 he watched his abuser murder his mother  and then himself . 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this

i guess i'm just mean...but i don't see why that qualifies you to recieve disability

i hated school and getting up every morning, but i finished it. when i had a child i had to find childcare outside the home in order to keep working.

these just sound like excuses to me

i should probably leave this post before i say something really mean to someone lol

Quoting kit_manson:

Here's the thing. Yes, there are jobs i could do. They aren't available in my area, i don't have childcare, and i haven't graduated highschool. I'd love to graduate highschool, but the same issues that keep me from working keep me from graduating.

Quoting Anonymous:

It really depends.  

I think there are jobs for people who are intellectually capable of working.  There are opportunities where you don't have to be around people, there are opportunities for people who are home bound.  The problem I have with SSI is my son will eventually need these programs, and I'm afraid that people who have conditions like depression, fibromyalgia, etc are taking away resources from people who really do need help to work.  I honestly think that unless you are on your death bed, or can't intellectually work (my son has an IQ of 50 and can't read or write), then you should be working-- there are a LOT of jobs available on line, you don't even have to leave your home or get out of your PJs.

fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Disability is just that DISABLED.  My dad had prostate cancer and is now incontient no he can't work, My BIL got hit by a drunk driver and got his leg severed off and has MERSA in his other and may lose that one too. NO he can't work he can barely get out of bed or a chair and no where without assistance.

CuriousArentYa
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Okay look. He was an investigator for the VA. He investigated fraudulant claims, people who said they were disabled but weren't. Period. Some people even though it may not have been relevant to the claim, claimed they could not work, when in fact he had proof of them working. Relevant to the claim or not. Based on his experiences of finding such a large amount of people who had fraudulant claims (had NOTHING to do with working but just had fraudulant claims) I do believe there is a large number of people out there who are getting disability for not being able to work when they can in fact work. 

I don't understand why people get disability from the va and then can go and do the exact same work out in the civilian world. That makes no sense to me. (I am not attacking, I am just saying I don't understand it, maybe you can explain that to me, since you have experience). 

Quoting FL2AK:

Work has nothing to do with VA benefits. You can work and still receive the benefits. VA disability is totally different than SSDI or SSI. I have worked with disabled veterans, wounded warriors and the VA for 9 years. Plus I am married to a 60 percent disabled veteran who does the same job that he did in the military but now as a civilian. 
Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:48 AM

My opinion is based more on how the military does disability ratings, since that is where my money comes from.

I *could* get a job.  I have a higher disability rating from my time in the service.  I collect 100% for retirement/disability through the VA.  But the kinds of jobs I'd feel safe doing, that wouldn't upset my PTSD or physical limitations, are few and far between, and most likely wouldn't pay well.  It would be harder for me to "break into" a career.

I have no shame in saying I collect that 100% right now.  I'm not working, but I paid my dues.  And, I'm in therapy.  SOMEDAY, hopefully, I am able to get a good job and just collect for my disability rating.  (I am rated at 50%, but collect 100% benefits and pay because of my job situation.)  When I reach that point and can safely and confidently enter the workforce, I will lose my 100% and just collect what I should get paid for my 50%.  That 50% is for life, no matter what happens from here on out, and I earned that through my service and the sacrifice I made.

What I think is WRONG are those who collect that 100%, and then NEVER try to better themselves and fix their situation because it is easier to live off 100%.  Personally, I could eventually make more money if I was able to break away.  I have high hope, even though therapists and doctors tell me that realistically I may never recover enough.  I'm shooting for the Moon anways.  If I can't have the moon, maybe I'll luck out with a satellite, or an airballoon.  But anything is better than being stuck on the ground!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN