Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you we're diagnosed with type 2 diabetes...

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:33 AM
  • 11 Replies
...would you choose to use insulin and other medications or would you make a lifestyle change by eating a vegan/raw diet? I'm just curious, I just saw a commercial for some new insulin pen & it got me thinking..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
audreesmama
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:35 AM
I was diagnosed and chose diet and exercise. Why wouldn't I? I don't want to be dependent on medication for the rest of my life if I can avoid it.

I didn't go to a vegan or raw diet...no reason to. I avoid sugar and watch my carbs.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:35 AM

My BF has Diabetes and takes insulin everyday, he doesn't have a choice. If he could he would eat this way if it helped him, who wouldn't?

LaughingTattoo
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:36 AM

It would be awesome if it worked...however it doesnt work in most cases and if it does, it wont always work.

Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:37 AM

My dh has diabetes and takes insulin, but he's been working on his diet and in the last 2 months, his diabetes got better...hopefully he can come off the insulin in the future...being dependent on any medication sucks...

CutieCrab
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:39 AM

My mom was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. She eats better. She checks her blood sugar levels 3 times a day.

20Keller12
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:40 AM
I'd take the insulin. Thanks to dad forcing veggies and such *literally forcing* them down my throat for ten years, they make me puke. If I get it past the gag reflex, anything in my stomach comes back up with it.
SusanD
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Many people are able to make lifestyle modifications and either be medication free or stay only on oral medications. For others, its not that simple. There are many type 2 diabetics who simply can not avoid being on insulin for one reason or another.

Wheepingchree
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:41 AM
I actually know several older people that have been diagnosed with diabetes and drastically changed their diet & no longer have diabetes. You have to be committed.

Quoting LaughingTattoo:

It would be awesome if it worked...however it doesnt work in most cases and if it does, it wont always work.

Roo1234
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:43 AM
my mom has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years and for most of out she controlled it with a non-vegetarian diet. in fact the only reason she uses insulin note is because during a long hospital stay ( for something unrelated) the staff wouldn't listen to us about how to manage it and it altered things in some way. even now, with careful choices she uses very little insulin.
happykitty316
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:56 AM

I have diabetes, which led to a diagnosis of PCOS.  Since the treatment for both is the same oral medication, I have to take a small dose.  However counting carbs is a tremendous help and my blood sugar and A1C are consistantly in the non diabetic range.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)