Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Does her son have autism or does she just want attention?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 64 Replies

This isn't an is autism real post.  I know it is real as I know people who have children that range from the lowest end of the spectrum to almost the other end.  Just want to put that out there.

I know a lady who about a year ago when her son had just turned 3 started posting about her son being diagnosed with autism.  It was very dramatic and and it has been all she has talked about for a year.  Posting constant pictures about autism and awareness.  Great.  Fine.

One day I started talk to her and asked her if she had changed his diet?  AGAIN I am not claiming to really know anything about autism.  I had just heard that this was common in children with autism.  She looked at me like I had 27 heads and said no I let him eat whatever he wants.  Okay.  So I said "Oh, so he is just in therapy."  Again the 27 head look and she got almost disgusted with me and said NO!  Then I asked if he had a mild form, because at this point I was so confused.  She changed the subject, so I just went with it.

Did I step over a line?  I was just asking.  She posts about it so much I thought it was okay to ask her some questions.  We are indeed friends and I see her often.  I am confused because he is a sweet, active, happy little kid - I am not saying kids with autism aren't...just saying he isn't what she makes him out to be it the point I am trying to make.  Her posts say he is non verbal, but he talks and communicates well (verbally) with my family and I.  She has also said he is emotionless, but he has always been affectionate with us.  Lots of hugs.  I am just so confused.  He is so differnt than the other children I know.  Even the mother who has a son with very mild autism has her son in a few different therapies (mostly through the school.) Soooo, it has me wondering if she is just saying her son has autism, but he doesn't???

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:32 AM

I should also add that her oldest son had juivinele diabetes (per her), but she also lets him eat whatever he wants.  So that is why I feel like mom may be making things up for attention.  Either that or she is a terrible caregiver.  Not because she has one child with diabetes and one with autism, but because she seems to be doing NOTHING to help either. 

nemo258
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:36 AM
Something doesn't sound right
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:38 AM

That is how I feel at this point.  I didn't think much of it until I started to ask her questions and she got so defensive about it.  I wasn't questioning her meanly.  Just asking questions.  IDK maybe it came out the wrong way :(

Quoting nemo258:

Something doesn't sound right

Chantilly1
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:39 AM
3 moms liked this

maybe mom has munchausen syndrome 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:44 AM

I don't know much about autism, but some moms that I have met are usually very open when asked questions. They want to share the knowledge and inform people who are ignorant(not ignorant in a bad way) on the subject. It just sounds weird that she got offended. hmmm

mrscass0416
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:44 AM

maybe he just doesnt like her. They way you say that he is with you does not sound like an autistic child to me. Visit nationalautismassociation.org and autismspeaks.org. I literally turned in a research paper Monday about autism. My besfriends son was diagnosed 3 years ago and I have become very familiar with it because of taht. I wanted to learn more about what was going on with him.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I had first talked to her when he was first diagnosed and she was then.  But then it was "Oh I am so overwhelmed.  I am still learning about everything" and so on and so on.  Which made sense, but like you said everyone else I know will openly talk about it. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't know much about autism, but some moms that I have met are usually very open when asked questions. They want to share the knowledge and inform people who are ignorant(not ignorant in a bad way) on the subject. It just sounds weird that she got offended. hmmm

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Type one diabetes can be very dangerous, I'm surprised the child is allowed to eat whatever they want. I have a friend similar to the one you describe. My friend claims two of her children have autism but yet they've never been tested. She also talks about getting them tested so she can get disability money every month!! Your friend sounds like a drama queen. I don't like when people "self diagnose."
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:53 AM

She loves him, from what I can see.  I don't think she dislikes him.  I hope not :/  I will check those sites out.  Thanks.

Quoting mrscass0416:

maybe he just doesnt like her. They way you say that he is with you does not sound like an autistic child to me. Visit nationalautismassociation.org and autismspeaks.org. I literally turned in a research paper Monday about autism. My besfriends son was diagnosed 3 years ago and I have become very familiar with it because of taht. I wanted to learn more about what was going on with him.

Kerannmer
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:54 AM

There is absolutely no way to determine whether or not this child is autistic from the info provided. 

Of course there are traits of autism that are very common, the "tell-tale" signs...my daughter displays a few common ones: flapping, spinning, tip-toe walking...but since it is a spectrum and and no two dx's are alike, it's hard to determine based on just "knowing" this person and her child. It takes a LONG time to get a diagnosis.

Not all people on the spectrum have leaky gut. My daughter makes eye contact, shows a range of emotion like any neurotypical child, and is high-functioning.

Maybe this mom is just looking for attention, or maybe she just isn't open to discussing things. Maybe OP came off as accusatory. Who knows?

Quoting mrscass0416:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)