Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wood flooring

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 30 Replies
How do you clean your hard wood floors? We just had new wood flooring put in and the sales guy said not to use a steam mop or allow water to set on the flooring.

Also whatever we use needs to be kid and pet friendly.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:03 AM

I use a steam mop on mine but it's bamboo and sealed so maybe that's why. I've been doing it for years without issue.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Either a regular dust mop or a Swiffer one.  I like the swiffer ones better.  The pads cling onto hair and lint better.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Yes, you can do that with bamboo.  But, not the Pergo, etc.

Quoting bmw29:

I use a steam mop on mine but it's bamboo and sealed so maybe that's why. I've been doing it for years without issue.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:08 AM
Our flooring is not bamboo or pergo. Its real hard wood flooring. Its reclaimed from an old barn and finished.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting bmw29:

bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Did you have it sealed? Either way it sounds beautiful and I would love to see it. :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Our flooring is not bamboo or pergo. Its real hard wood flooring. Its reclaimed from an old barn and finished.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting bmw29:

danie24
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:12 AM
3 moms liked this

I use vinegar and water.

The key to hardwood is to not let it get soaking wet. It can ruin it.

I do small sections at a time. Scrub with a vinegar/water mix.. then dry it with a cloth.. then move on to the next section.

I scrub the floors once a week and it takes me about an hour to do the entire house.. I do it the old fashioned way.. on my hands and knees with a bucket and cloth.. but I know lots of people who use a mop. Just ring it out really well.. and dry your floor afterwards.

EmilysMom2010
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Oooooh. I wanna see!! :-)

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting bmw29:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:13 AM
2 moms liked this

OK.  That helps.  So many call the laminates "hard wood".  So, I wasn't sure.  Again, a regular dust mop or a Swiffer would be perfect.  About once a month, I use Murphy's Oil Soap mixed in a bucket of water and clean it with that.  Either a mop or a rag...just damp, not sopping wet.  Murphy's is made for wood floors with wood conditioners.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting bmw29:

SpnFulOfSugar
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:14 AM
A dust mop with furniture polish on it
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by Sapphire Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:18 AM

What is it finished with? Polyurethane can handle water.  I use murphys oil soap and a barely damp mop.  My mother used Johnson paste wax but it has a lot of voc's and has a very strong voc smell.  If you hunt, you can find a paste wax with lower voc's.  Bona makes a line of cleaners for wood floors.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting bmw29:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)