Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Question about health insurance

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 42 Replies
SO's work doesn't provide insurance and I'm not employed. What are some insurances you can get that aren't through work?
And if u are paying not through work how many kids and how much do you pay?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Bump
ColieO
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:21 AM
You can look up what's available in your state online.

We'll be dropping health insurance. I can't afford it through my new job or privately.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:22 AM

You need to shop around for insurance carriers. They'll all give you a quote online. The price depends on where you live and your health history.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Why people put themselves in these positions is beyond me. What are you going to do if your kids or you get sick? Oh let me guess the tax payers will pick up the tab.
danie24
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:24 AM

I'm in Canada.

Here is a bump for you :)

mewebb82
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:24 AM
We are on my husbands insurance now, but we weren't a few years ago. We had a golden rule family plan and paid about $760/month for the 4 of us. We had united healthcare before that and paid $900/month.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
B1Bomber
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:25 AM

I had BCBS when I was between jobs. It was $100/month for just me, but it was a super coverage plan with very low copays and deductibles. I think the cheaper, emergency plan was about $20/month for a sibgle person.

(This was three years ago, pre-Obamacare requirements. Costs have definitely gone up a lot in the time since.)

just_hc
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Call an independant insurance agent in your State.  They can quote several different carriers and give you the best options.  They will also understand the coverage and be able to make recommendations.

Shermy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:28 AM
We are with Cigna, with one kiddo, two adults, 5,000 deductible and a 30/70 co-insurance rate post deductible, 10,000 out of pocket max and $40/$60 Dr. visits.

Use e health insurance for a quick estimate of plans and costs in your area
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
glitterwings
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:30 AM

We have it through Dh work right now and we pay 147 a week for family coverage. About 4 yrs ago I had private insurance and it was 800 a month for me only. I did have maternity coverage, so that made it a little higher.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)