• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is this special needs?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:27 AM
  • 37 Replies
Do you consider a child with ADD special needs?
I have a friend on Facebook who is always going on about her special needs daughter (her words, not mine, she literally says "my special needs daughter, ____"). She has ADD.
I haven't had any first hand experience with ADD, so I don't know, but if my daughter had ADD I don't think I would call her special needs. Would you?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kattu
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Maybe She has special needs because of her add. IDK, maybe she feeds off the attention? ADD doesn't seem like it would be in the category of special needs??
She has difficulty focusing,not sure what else goes into ADD so I'm not sure how I feel.
dawnjohnson5
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:58 AM
No, I don't consider it special needs. I have a son with adhd and odd, I don't consider him special needs either.
mlg1989
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Depends on how severe it is a guess?
MrS.GiFFord
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Yes I do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hotmama83227
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:01 PM

i have a son who is ADHD and i never considered him special needs. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:02 PM

It depend on how severe and other factors. My middle child has ADHD. I do not consider him special needs. 

My oldest has ADHD along with several other diagnosises.I consider him special needs because in order to succeed in school and life (such as Church camp) he needs special accomodations. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:02 PM
2 moms liked this

I generally wouldn't consider that to be special needs.

Sounds like she's doing it for attention/sympathy. Who specifically refers to their kid that way? Most would say, "my daughter" or "Sally", not "my special needs child, Sally."

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:02 PM
my husband had adhd and became a soldier in the army and lived a normal life.He had to have medication and everything when he was a child so no I do not consider that speacal needs.He now does not need anything.My som how ever with very severe autism and global delay who is 3yrs old and can not even eat without a high chair yea that is speacal needs
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:03 PM

If her condition causes her to need special accomadations to navigate life, then yes, I would say that's special needs, but.. I don't have a special needs child and have never dealt with a child with add, or adhd, so my opinion is not based off experience with it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)