• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My confession- I can't stand 5 year old.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies

I love my daughter more then anything, she is amazing. Unfortunately she has been acting horrible lately. Screaming, crying, hitting, throwing things, punching, slamming doors, all out acting horrible. I am at a complete lose on what to do. I have tried time out, reward charts, calmly talking and nothing works. Any advice??? 

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Please? 

PinkyPan
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Is this new behavior? Any big changes recently?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:06 PM

She has been through a lot of changes over the past 2 years. 10 months ago her little sister was born. Her behavior is getting worse. 

Quoting PinkyPan:

LilliesValley
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Consistent. Whatever you do be consistent. Dd was having too much fun in time out sitting in a chair so she has her forehead against the wall and stands there. I set the timer on my phone. If you ask if time is up you get another minute. We go through phases where we will have no time outs for a month and then boom we have lots. We spank occasionally but usually time out works. But we are 100% consistent and never change our minds once we say no. My mother told me that when dd was born. Say maybe but don't say no and then not back it up. Your kid will think they can change your mind then.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:10 PM

I think that's a lot of the problem. We all have different rules for her. 

Quoting LilliesValley:

Consistent. Whatever you do be consistent. Dd was having too much fun in time out sitting in a chair so she has her forehead against the wall and stands there. I set the timer on my phone. If you ask if time is up you get another minute. We go through phases where we will have no time outs for a month and then boom we have lots. We spank occasionally but usually time out works. But we are 100% consistent and never change our minds once we say no. My mother told me that when dd was born. Say maybe but don't say no and then not back it up. Your kid will think they can change your mind then.

spooky415
by Emerald Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:11 PM
1 mom liked this
My 5 year old makes me want to drink.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PinkyPan
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:11 PM

It sounds like she may be fighting for attention. One way to get it is to act out and misbehave. Just remain consistent with whatever your are doing. Change is not always easy and being 5 she is going to push buttons. Hang in there.

Quoting Anonymous:

She has been through a lot of changes over the past 2 years. 10 months ago her little sister was born. Her behavior is getting worse. 

Quoting PinkyPan:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I always try to do things with her, make her feel special. I think it has a lot to do with her age and she isn't a baby anymore. I'm trying hard to be consistent.

Quoting PinkyPan:

It sounds like she may be fighting for attention. One way to get it is to act out and misbehave. Just remain consistent with whatever your are doing. Change is not always easy and being 5 she is going to push buttons. Hang in there.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting PinkyPan:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:15 PM

How does you 5 year old act? 

Quoting spooky415:

My 5 year old makes me want to drink.

SueUK
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this

My 5 year old son is the same, I have spoken about it to other Mums of 5 year olds and it seems fairly common. I think at 5 they are in school etc and start to develop a greater sense of independance. Which they are not ready to handle. I just try to be consistent. Where possible I try to get him 'on side' and make him laugh. Otherwise I let him calm down (time out or his room) then talk to him. He wants to be such a big boy yet he's still so young. I also pick my fights and let him have small victories, and compromise with the lille things. I feel it will help his self esteem. I always tell him I love him, even if he's not behaving nicely I make sure he knows it's the behaviour I don;t like, not him. I never let manners slide and try to ignore the attitude, give time out for slamming doors or hitting his brother etc. Sometimes it feels like a cross between the terrible twos and the teenage years!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)