Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it me or is it a societal shift? Society Question

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:01 PM
  • 23 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you think society is changing it's view in possession of material things?

Options:

Yes, I think so

No I don't

I think it's just your perspective

Something else.. Please leave a comment

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 46

View Results

I was thinking a lot about this last night.

It seems there may be  a shift in Society about becoming more organized and "simplfying your life" or my personal favorite 'Minimalism" .

Maybe it's just me or if it is just because that's what I've been reading on the internet about :)

What do you think?

Do you think Society is changing from wanting more and more to wanting less as in houses or belongings?

I want to hear your thoughts on this.

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:07 PM
2 moms liked this

no, all i see around me is people who can't seem to get enough stuff... we are truly a nation of consumers

StarLight23
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:46 PM

BUMP!

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this
It changed with the economy. In the 90's when manufacturing jobs were sent overseas, the cost of goods went down and everyone went crazy. People had to have lots of things, bigger houses, more stuff,etc. When the economy took a dump it became popular to up cycle and minimalize.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
waffa
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:59 PM

I see people down scaling due to economic situations, so my minimalist life feels justified.

Destiny907
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:01 PM

I think for some people- otherwise, I see people obsessed with stuff....

StarLight23
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Well I didn't even think about the connection to the economy honestly.. I know.

I just remember it starting and for many it's something they have had to learn.

People still are learning to get by with what they have and know.

Quoting quickbooksworm:

It changed with the economy. In the 90's when manufacturing jobs were sent overseas, the cost of goods went down and everyone went crazy. People had to have lots of things, bigger houses, more stuff,etc. When the economy took a dump it became popular to up cycle and minimalize.

Motherof3inNJ
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I think it's been that way as long as I can remember and I'm 33. They say in the 80's people got greedy and wanted more and more, I don't think that mentality changed since. I lived only 7 months in 1979 so I can't compare it to the 50's, 60's, and 70's but my grandparents say it became a different world when most women began working. On one income, there were people who could splurge but not nearly as many as there were when two income homes became the norm.

TugBoatMama
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Not from what I have seen. I think people are way more attatched to material things than they used to be. Too many people that are more worried about the price of their bag or cell phone than other human beings.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I think that's a minority of people, while the majority are heading in the opposite direction.

illinoismommy83
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I think there are people who desire the simplicity of minimal possessions, but the American dream to have lots of crap is still going strong.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)