Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you can't do your job go on maternity leave early

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My youngest just started gymnastics today and there are 2 teachers, one who's very pregnant. There are 4 kids in the class and they are supposed to break the kids up into 2 groups since there is a 3 year age difference in the kids.

My kid and another one are almost 5 and there's a huge difference in their ability to participate and listen and do versus the two kids that aren't 2 year.

So why were they all together today? Because the one that's pregnant cant do her job.

I'm irritated, I don't doubt she can't jump on the trampoline and that walking on the balance beam and holding kids up isn't the best thing for her but if she can't do her job she needs to start her maternity leave early. We pay for our kids to go and it's not fair that the older ones have to sit there and wait on the much younger kids, now don't get me wrong the teacher is sweet but if she can't do her job she needs to be given a job she can do or go on maternity leave.

I didn't have time to talk to the owner today after class but I will be calling later today to talk to her.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:31 PM
Replies (31-35):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:13 PM
I sorry but spending your time sitting down saying so and so sit down and wait your turn isn't doing her job. She didn't even take her class like she was supposed to, she pawned them off on the other teacher.

I wouldn't expect my employer to let me sit the entire time while another employee did my job and theirs and she shouldn't expect hers to either. I'm sorry but I don't consider being pregnant a disability that deserves a free pass when it comes to working.

Quoting Anonymous:

nope, not stubborn either. seriously, just because you think she isn't doing her job, doesn't mean she is or isn't.  in my opinion, you aren't doing your job as a mom, so you should be fired from being a mom. also, I don't read all the previous posts, so you saying it 3 times doesn't mean a thing to me.  sure, you can complain, but don't think you will always be right, half or more will disagree.

Quoting Anonymous:

Stubborn aren't you? I WILL talk to the director today. I've now stated it 3 times, that doesn't mean I can't complain on here.

Aleta775
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:14 PM
But with a broken leg, she would probably be paid for the entire time she was laid up, that is not true for leaving early on maturity leave.

Quoting Anonymous:Not cold at all I just expect her to do her job. If she had broken her leg and couldn't work I'd also expect them to find someone else to substitute until she came back. It's no difference simply because she's pregnant.

I'm all for accommodating her as best as they can so she doesn't have to go on maternity leave early but the accommodations need to be reasonable, she got paid to sit for an hour and say so and so sit down and wait your turn.

Quoting Aleta775:It is a temporary situation, and the sub may not be ready until a certain time. Instead of insisting that the coach leave early, ask if they will pro rate the month. You sound really cold.

Quoting Anonymous:That's not my problem that's theirs.

Quoting Aleta775:How many other jobs do you think they have around there?

Quoting Anonymous:I'm sure she needs to work until the last minute but if she can't do her job they need to find her a job she can do until she goes on maternity leave. If you paid 500 bucks a month wouldn't you want your child to be taught or would you be comfortable with your child spending most of their time sitting on the floor waiting for the younger kids who need extra help?

Quoting sugareemommee:

I'm sure she won't be paid to take her leave early. I understand where you're coming from but if I was you I'd try to be a little more understanding, most people need to work until the last minute.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:17 PM
She honestly probably wouldn't get paid for a broken bone either.

I'm not begrudging her because she's pregnant I just expect her to do her job and if she can't then something needs to change. Move her to an older class, let her answer phones and sign kids up. Come up with something else so that the kids actually get to have gymnastics rather than spend most of their time sitting and waiting.

Just like in the corporate world, they would try to accommodate you if you're pregnant and can't perform your duties, that's all I'm asking in this case and I don't consider sitting there saying so and so sit down as doing her job.

Quoting Aleta775:

But with a broken leg, she would probably be paid for the entire time she was laid up, that is not true for leaving early on maturity leave.

Quoting Anonymous:Not cold at all I just expect her to do her job. If she had broken her leg and couldn't work I'd also expect them to find someone else to substitute until she came back. It's no difference simply because she's pregnant.

I'm all for accommodating her as best as they can so she doesn't have to go on maternity leave early but the accommodations need to be reasonable, she got paid to sit for an hour and say so and so sit down and wait your turn.

Quoting Aleta775:It is a temporary situation, and the sub may not be ready until a certain time. Instead of insisting that the coach leave early, ask if they will pro rate the month. You sound really cold.

Quoting Anonymous:That's not my problem that's theirs.

Quoting Aleta775:How many other jobs do you think they have around there?

Quoting Anonymous:I'm sure she needs to work until the last minute but if she can't do her job they need to find her a job she can do until she goes on maternity leave. If you paid 500 bucks a month wouldn't you want your child to be taught or would you be comfortable with your child spending most of their time sitting on the floor waiting for the younger kids who need extra help?

Quoting sugareemommee:

I'm sure she won't be paid to take her leave early. I understand where you're coming from but if I was you I'd try to be a little more understanding, most people need to work until the last minute.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:26 PM

where I work, they reassign you, not put you out on early maternity, the doctor has to do that.  but I guess that is the reason they are one of the top companies to work for.

Quoting Anonymous:

I sorry but spending your time sitting down saying so and so sit down and wait your turn isn't doing her job. She didn't even take her class like she was supposed to, she pawned them off on the other teacher.

I wouldn't expect my employer to let me sit the entire time while another employee did my job and theirs and she shouldn't expect hers to either. I'm sorry but I don't consider being pregnant a disability that deserves a free pass when it comes to working.

Quoting Anonymous:

nope, not stubborn either. seriously, just because you think she isn't doing her job, doesn't mean she is or isn't.  in my opinion, you aren't doing your job as a mom, so you should be fired from being a mom. also, I don't read all the previous posts, so you saying it 3 times doesn't mean a thing to me.  sure, you can complain, but don't think you will always be right, half or more will disagree.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:34 PM
As I have stated in the op and several times throughout the post they can reassign her until she goes on maternity leave. They teach older kids, maybe she can take over one of those classes for 3 more months. Maybe she can sit at the desk signing kids up and answering phones.

Give her something else to do besides sit and say sit down to the kids.

Quoting Anonymous:

where I work, they reassign you, not put you out on early maternity, the doctor has to do that.  but I guess that is the reason they are one of the top companies to work for.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN