Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I don't know how to feed my family.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies
Can someone help? I have a monthly budget of about $200. We are a family of 4. Two adults, a 2.5yo, and a 1yo. Idk how to stretch out the budget to buy healthy foods. I mean, buying my son's almond milk for a month is like ten bucks right there! I usually buy off brand, cheap, which is usually processed and no good. Can anyone offer advice?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:54 PM

go to a food bank, or go to your local social service offices and apply for emergency food stamps.

thenameshailie
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this

That is a tight budget for healthy foods. Farmers markets are good for saving a few bucks and getting great produce. You are going to have to make a menu and stick to it and eat left overs. It is actually cheaper to cook from scratch than to buy it. Perhaps cut corners by making your own bread etc. Do you have a yard where you could have a garden?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:55 PM

cheap bologna, loaf of bread,  pb&j, can of beans, rice, pasta

ragdoll13
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Do you have WIC or foodstamps?  sounds like you could honestly use it here

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:58 PM
I second this. With that budget your family will go hungry or will be full off of cheap processed foods like ramen noodles.

Quoting ragdoll13:

Do you have WIC or foodstamps?  sounds like you could honestly use it here

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:59 PM

bump. no idea. i'm in the same boat.

momoftwo0406
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Do you have any local "dents for cents" stores? We have a few here you can get canned food for like 15 cents and box food for like 50 cents some name brand some off. The food is dented or smashed boxes but the food isn't expired or anything.

If you don't then maybe apply for emergency food stamps. Good luck I know it's hard to stretch money sometimes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rosie211
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Well,  $50 a week isn't that much to work with but it can be done. Canned veggies are $.48 at walmart, pricematch the meat prices from savealot at walmart. If you do it this week, you can get 6 pounds of frozen chicken for around $10. Watch your portions, shop sales and use all the stores you have to get the best price. Get big bags of rice, those things last forever! Try a menu plan. Stay away from processed foods if you can. No chips or cookies. Try the dollar stores for certain things, like pretzels, etc. 

funny_girl3
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Making things from scratch is usually cheaper and is almost as easy as store bought mixes and things once you get the hang of it.  A bag of flour costs about the same a couple packages of refrigerated biscuits but you can make so much more with it.

April620
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:01 PM
When I was a kid we ate a lot of tuna casseroles and mac&cheese with pork&beans in them. Also potato soup is very cheap,, well really most soups are cheap and are great for leftovers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)