Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I don't know how to feed my family.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Can someone help? I have a monthly budget of about $200. We are a family of 4. Two adults, a 2.5yo, and a 1yo. Idk how to stretch out the budget to buy healthy foods. I mean, buying my son's almond milk for a month is like ten bucks right there! I usually buy off brand, cheap, which is usually processed and no good. Can anyone offer advice?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Replies (11-20):
MsRkg
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Buy the staples and make as much as you can from scratch. It works out to be cheaper in the long run, or at least for me. Bake your breads, make your pasta, make your stocks and sauces, juices, etc. Buy a big bag of dry beans instead of stuff in the can. You can make a 200 budget work.

Vcoskey
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Make your own almond milk!! (Awesome recipes online, and it's easy!)
Use beans and lentils to cut almost all dishes, and plan a lot of meatless meals. Also, buy economy packs of beef or chicken, separate and freeze. You can also find out the days/times when your grocer puts out the discounted meat (usually a day before the use or freeze by date). There are many many websites that offer "cooking on a budget" receives and they even break down the average cost of a serving.

I totally get it - we lived on pennies for YEARS. Only buy seasonal, on sale, and stuff you can freeze. Never waste anything - it's totally doable, just a lot of work! :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Buy veggies, fruit, beans, and whole grains. It's easy to stick to $50 a week if you buy healthy food.

Do you have an Aldi nearby? They have great prices on produce. Their almond milk is really good too and I think $1.49 for a half gallon which is a great price.
SageAdvice
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

You need to buy Dried Beans, bags of self rising flour & corn meal, and Fresh Veggies, Some Spices and Basic Meat. If you have those items you can make LOTS of different things and stay on budget.

Some times you just have to punt the ball.
KyrinM
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Check & see if you have a Bountiful Baskets exchange in your area, a lot of places do.  For $15 every week you can get a lot of fruit & veggies.  So check into that.  Meat, cheese & dairy are the next tough things, but be aware that eggs will store for a long time so if you have room in your fridge, take advantage of sales.  Pork is pretty cheap & is also pretty lean these days, watch the ads, it is usually about $2  or less a pound, so stock up.  You can make a lot of things with it that you make with beef or chicken.  We make fajitas, stroganoff, stir frys.  If you have a Grocery Outlet near you, hit that place before the regular store.  You also might want to grab a book called The Complete Tightwad Gazette...by Amy Dacyczyn, this book is a lifesaver on all levels when things are very tight.  When we moved here 8 years ago we had nothing, & only my husband had a job & it didn't earn much.  We were supporting 4 people on less than $1300 a month, $500 went to rent, then another $300 in utilities then other bills, we averaged about $200 a month for food then as well.  This book helped us learn how to make it through.  I am thinking that I should re read it & start doing a lot of the same things as before, since things are tight once more & a refresher course won't hurt.  Anyway, hope this helped some.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes it can be done, you are going to have to cook meals that will stretch the whole day, chili, spaghetti, stew, casseroles etc. go buy a ton of sides and frozen veggies and then get meats and rice as fillers. You can make a pack of meat go a long way. Plan and cook and you will do fine. Don't waste money on sodas and junk food to much.
godsgirl26
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:11 PM
Can you go to some churches maybe they can help you.
brittanyjenean
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Well, you could try couponing, watching your sales ads, grow your own veggies, make your meals from scratch.
Kristen.Marie
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Use a crock pot to cook cheaper cuts of near, buy fresh produce off the "expired" rack. Make your own dressings and don't buy any snack foods.
PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:31 PM

You can make your own almond milk if you have a blender.

http://frugallysustainable.com/2012/08/how-to-make-homemade-almond-milk/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)