• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

McDonald's cashier wanted - need bachelor's degree

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:53 PM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

It still isn't clear if this is real or not (the asking for a bachelors degree), oh and they want two years of experience.  Here is a link to the story.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/mcdonalds-want-ad-demands-bachelors-degree-two-years-experience-for-cashier/article/2526145

Here is a link to the ad

http://www.jobdiagnosis.com/index.php?option=com_neorecruit&id=120997889&task=offer_view&Itemid=87&aff_id=simplyhired&sub_id=feed&feed=true&utm_source=SimplyHired&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=SimplyHired

Is it really that bad out there?  A McDonald's cashier needs a bachelor's degree and two years of experience?  Granted, it is/could be a full time job but really??

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jennyanne322
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Could this have been originally posted as an April fools prank?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:05 PM
I believe it. I couple years ago I was desperate for a job and I applied at McDonald's but they didn't hire me even though I had almost 5 years experience at Wendy's. I had stores fighting for an interview the same day I handed in my résumé and did the test.
caito
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Why the FUCK would you need a Bachelor's to be a cashier at a fast food place? That was my first job ever. Dude

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:08 PM

After moving to a new state, the first job my SO could get was at McDonalds. He was put on the grill, and worked his way up to the prep table in a week or two. He's had training for the cash register, but has never been put on it, because they prefer to put the women on it so that they don't have to work the grill or be around the hot appliances.

robibuni
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Mine too. 

I can't imagine why anyone would EVER need a Bachelors to be a cashier. Then again, America is getting dumber.

Quoting caito:

Why the FUCK would you need a Bachelor's to be a cashier at a fast food place? That was my first job ever. Dude

hhhanna
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:09 PM

I don't think it's was a prank, I checked the dates on the article and the job posting.

As for the anon experience, hope you're employed today (sounds like you probably are) but that WAS two years ago and supposely, the economy has been getting better.  Just unreal to me that they would put in a degree AND experience for a job at McDonald's.

VannaMae307
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Is it for a management position? That would be somewhat understandable. Management moves up to the big jobs a little faster than a lower-level cashier. That's what I have seen, anyway.

CampClan
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:13 PM
Not true- I worked in fast food... at McDonalds. They want women on cashier because we tend to have a friendlier attitude & better customer service. It has nothing to do with not wanting us to get burned. After a few months with them I demanded I be put on the grill. I figured if I was selling them I might as well learn how to make them too.

Quoting Anonymous:

After moving to a new state, the first job my SO could get was at McDonalds. He was put on the grill, and worked his way up to the prep table in a week or two. He's had training for the cash register, but has never been put on it, because they prefer to put the women on it so that they don't have to work the grill or be around the hot appliances.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:16 PM

It's probably not a matter of them wanting someone who went to college, but someone semi-educated. The people the high schools are putting out as graduates is pathetic.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I admire that!

Quoting CampClan:

Not true- I worked in fast food... at McDonalds. They want women on cashier because we tend to have a friendlier attitude & better customer service. It has nothing to do with not wanting us to get burned. After a few months with them I demanded I be put on the grill. I figured if I was selling them I might as well learn how to make them too.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)