Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The Croods! Made My Son Wants a Tiger...I need a little advice.

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:03 PM
  • 12 Replies

Took my son last night to see The Croods with my husband and Grandma and Little Grandma.  He absolutely loved it!  We all did, we all thought it was hilarious and broke out into laughter several times.  

Now he cant stop talking about it and wants to go see it again.  He went on and on about, "I want a big pet.", "A big Saber Tooth Tiger Pet.", "A big cat" on and on and on.  First I tried explaining how that tiger was based off a real animal that is now extinct (and then what extinct meant) but even when they were around they were not like that, how it was imaginary and just in the movie for fun, just like there are no longer cavemen or flying swarms of pink seagulls type birds that eat people to the bone in seconds.  

He was not having it.  He actually shed genuine silent tears on the way home mourning over not being able to have a giant yellow and green Saber Tooth Tiger with big sharp teeth.  It was so sad.  He got quiet and I thought he might be falling asleep on the way home and then when I shut the car off and the dome light came on, he was quietly weeping.  Normally any tears he sheds are loud and due to injury.  

He wants to go see it again, and I totally would because I loved it too...but I dont know if I wanna stress him out like that again.  You think the second time around it might click with him and he would get over it?  Or the second time would just make it worse?  This morning he was still talking about it.  Begging to go see it again.  

I tried telling him, "You have Holly and you dont even play with her, she is an Irish Wolfhound, one of the biggest dogs in the world.".  He says, "I pay with her, see. *pats her head*"...lol...The final thing I said about it today was, "When you play with Holly more and show mommy how much you love her then I will think about getting you a much bigger pet, but that tiger in the movie is not real, I cannot get you that tiger."....I have no intention of getting him a bigger pet, but I did not lie, I said I would think about it and I have been...he seemed satisfied....for now...  

Sort of wondering what a tactful sensitive way of handling this would be...ideas?  I havn't ever seen him so hung up on something he saw in a movie before.  

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
squeekers
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:07 PM

take him to a museum and show him saber tooth cat skeleton and show him they were around with dinosaurs. you can always go to Amazon.com and see if they have the plush tiger to buy, too.

RaynesMommy07
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Buy him a stuffed animal
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:11 PM

awww DUH, I could get him a stuffed tiger like in the movie.  Thank you!  Thats a good idea....knowing my son though he might just be like, "Pfft...this isn't real."...lol...Idk, he might love it, sometimes he is so hot/cold.  Im sort of baffled by him because he totally understands that dinosaurs are extinct, never asked me for a dinosaur and loves the land before time movies.  

Quoting squeekers:

take him to a museum and show him saber tooth cat skeleton and show him they were around with dinosaurs. you can always go to Amazon.com and see if they have the plush tiger to buy, too.

Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I will definitly go look and see whats available.  Thank you.  

Quoting RaynesMommy07:

Buy him a stuffed animal

RaynesMommy07
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:22 PM
You're welcome.

Quoting Matriarch87:

I will definitly go look and see whats available.  Thank you.  

Quoting RaynesMommy07:

Buy him a stuffed animal

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:37 PM

What animal are you willing to house that is bigger than an Irish Wolfhound??

Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:40 PM

lol none, I just told him I would think about it.  Maybe a horse in the future though.  Id like to have a horse again...but im not, im not willing to right now.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Oh, that makes sense.  We used to live next door to an Irish Wolfhound.  He was almost as big as a horse LOL.  Now my son became obsessed with that Irish Wolfhound on the Iams commercial and wants one.  We have 2 dobermans though so we won't be getting one anytime soon.  I would maybe like an Irish Wolfhound for our next dog down the line.  Are they good dogs?

Quoting Matriarch87:

lol none, I just told him I would think about it.  Maybe a horse in the future though.  Id like to have a horse again...but im not, im not willing to right now.  

Quoting Anonymous:

nyxiemist
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:50 PM

My DS has been wanting a turtle ever since he saw A Turtle's Tale. We so,ple told him no. He keeps asking, and we keep telling him no. I don't think he'll ever give up.

mariesmama
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:53 PM

why not get him a kitty of his own that he can pretend is the tiger in the movie?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)