Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

**Is it ILLEGAL to open your spouse's mail....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Without his consent ?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Yes.

Anonymous
And as a pp pointed out. It's not illegal to open your childs mail.

Quoting bc19:

Pretty sure she meant for the general free public. But that is awesome nitpicking

Quoting Anonymous:

Meaning her reply was incorrect. It is NOT illegal to open mail that's not yours. Case in point, inmates.

Quoting bc19:

An inmate looses that privacy and right when they are put in jail.

Quoting Anonymous:

If that were true, correction officers who open inmate mail would be in trouble

Quoting autummayline:

I'm pretty sure it's illegal to open any mail that's not yours

Anonymous
Not true. Immates don't have any rights. They get their mail opened and most of the time read. They have to make sure no drugs or like any hits put out on someone is in the letters. I know this because a friend is a corrections officer plus had an ex in prison.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting autummayline:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:44 PM

I'm a smooth criminal

katiegirl
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:45 PM
Yes
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Idntreallycare
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:45 PM

technically yes, but I open my husband's mail because it's usually junk mail or bills. If it's something that looks like a letter or invite for him, I leave it. 

But technically, if he wanted to have me arrested for a federal offense, then it could happen

Octobersmom
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Yes. 

bc19
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:47 PM

And yet another awesome nitpick. 

Ok so, it is illegal to read anyone's mail who is over the age of 18 and has not had those rights taken away unless there is a risk for the public's safety, in which case authourized people may inspect mail for safety precautions.

Did I miss anything?

Quoting Anonymous:

And as a pp pointed out. It's not illegal to open your childs mail.

Quoting bc19:

Pretty sure she meant for the general free public. But that is awesome nitpicking

Quoting Anonymous:

Meaning her reply was incorrect. It is NOT illegal to open mail that's not yours. Case in point, inmates.

Quoting bc19:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting autummayline:

PinaiAngelPai15
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Stbx is currently in trouble for opening my mail when we were together. I got some info about an oil company I inheritted from my dad back in 2006. I just got the packet a month or so ago. He opened it & kept it from me. I had to call the oil company nearly seven years later to get it all straightened out. I always told him before I opened his mail.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
autummayline
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:53 PM
As for an inmate.. I believe they loose all rights when they go to jail or prison. As for what we were originally talking about: Federal Statute The federal statute that applies to this situation is 18 USC Section 1702. This statute is part of Chapter 83 of Title 18 of the federal code, which is concerned with crimes involving the U.S. Postal Service. This section is called Obstruction of Correspondence. When It Is Illegal Under this statute it is only illegal to open mail addressed to someone else if you have taken it from the custody of the Postal Service. That means it is a crime to take a letter, package, postcard, or other item of mail from a Post Office, a mailbox of any kind, or from a postal carrier before the mail has been delivered, if you intend to prevent the mail from being delivered, pry into it, embezzle money, or destroy the mail. The statute is essentially about stealing mail from the Post Office. Misconceptions There is a common misconception that it is illegal to open mail addressed to someone else that has been delivered to you. There is no federal statute that prevents you from opening mail not addressed to you once it has been delivered by the Postal Service. If you take something that was in the mail you might violate a state law against stealing. If you use information contained in the mail for a wrongful purpose like identity theft, you are breaking state and federal law, but opening the mail is not illegal in itself. Criminal Penalties Anyone who steals mail in the custody of the Postal Service or destroys it can be fined and imprisoned up to three years under 18 USC 1705. The person whose mail was taken, opened, or destroyed does not have the right to decide when this crime will be prosecuted. It is up to the federal prosecutor in the place where the crime occurred to decide when, or if, to prosecute and what penalties to seek. Civil Remedies The person whose mail has been taken, opened, or destroyed in violation of 18 USC Section 1702 cannot get civil damages just because the law was broken. The federal statute does not have any civil penalties. If the victim suffered monetary damages because of the federal crime, then that person may be able to sue for damages under state law. Read more: What Is the Federal Law for Opening Mail Not Addressed http://www.ehow.com/about_6293417_federal-mail-not-addressed-you_.html#ixzz2PQLcnny2
Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting bc19:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting autummayline:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured