• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To change it or not to change it....

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:03 PM
  • 5 Replies

I have a DD from a previous relationship and now currently married. Her bd is a dead beat and basically hasn't been around since I told him I was prengnat (loooong story) anyway. She has my maiden name as her last name, we were talking that it could be changed so she can have the same last name as the 4 of us, all we have to do is get a revision to her birth certificate. My dh said he didn't mind but that I might wanna have her keep my maiden name since she is technically the last one since my dad was the only male. Having my DH adopt her isn't an option right now cause it would cost a lot of money to have her bd rights revoked since he lives in a different state and he would fight it just because he is an asshat. Soooo would you change your kids name to the one that everyone else in the family has or leave the maiden name being she is last one carrying that name?

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
lmscm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:11 PM
I'm not really sure but I think I would.
Mommy2b2many
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:13 PM
I'd probably change her last name
momma-t42
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:24 PM

since her bd is a dead beat anyway, do what I did.  I told my oldest DD's bd to pay for the adoption and I would let him out of all of his back child support.  He did, and my husband adopted her 10 months after we were married.

I always had a fear that if something happened to me and my husband was raising her as his own anyway, I sure didn't want her bd to regain custody.

For her to keep your maiden name really won't be helpful since she won't have that maiden name forever anyway.  I'd want them all to be the same.

Shy_Dia
by Emerald Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:25 PM
I'd change it if she wanted. I mean when she gets married, it'll be changed anyways.

I refuse to change my sons last name. He is the last of my maiden name line.

ETA: I don't plan on changing my last name, even if I do get married... Currently, I'm against getting married as it is. Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommynwife26
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:30 PM
I've offered him the chance and he refused saying he isn't a dead beat and no other man would raise her....he's an idiot. I wish he'd allow it. I do have a will with my mom as guardian of my dd if something happens which will hold up in any court sinc her bd has never met her. My mom would allow my dh to have my dd and raise her. And that's what I was thinking too unless she wanted to keep her maiden name when married

Quoting momma-t42:

since her bd is a dead beat anyway, do what I did.  I told my oldest DD's bd to pay for the adoption and I would let him out of all of his back child support.  He did, and my husband adopted her 10 months after we were married.

I always had a fear that if something happened to me and my husband was raising her as his own anyway, I sure didn't want her bd to regain custody.

For her to keep your maiden name really won't be helpful since she won't have that maiden name forever anyway.  I'd want them all to be the same.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)