• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

toddlers and breast feeding.

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:14 PM
  • 9 Replies
I am 38 weeks pregnant and I plan on breast feeding. The only problem is that I also have a 3 yr old toddler that is always with me. I stopped breast feeding him at 6 months so he has never seen a mom feeding her baby anything but a bottle. I'm a bit scared of breast feeding my baby and having the toddler notice and ask questions. Have any of you dealt with this situation? What did you do? I guess I don't know how I would explain to my toddler that his baby sister will eat from my breast. What do I do if he gets curious? Help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:16 PM
Tell him.
Babies drink milk from their mommies.
DD was almost 5 when DS was born.
We talked "you know Ibrahim is going to drink milk from mommy right?"
"Yeah"
En of story. Lol.
Kids understand, just open and have a conversation with him :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetieiv
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:21 PM
I don't know if I can say that to him in words he will understand.

Quoting MIA0223:

Tell him.

"Yeah"

En of story. Lol.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:06 AM
He wouldn't understand babies drink milk from their mommy?
Kids understand more than you would think!

Quoting sweetieiv:

I don't know if I can say that to him in words he will understand.

Quoting MIA0223:

Tell him.

"Yeah"

En of story. Lol.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:07 AM

He will understand just fine. If he asks what you are doing, tell him "feeding the baby". That is all he needs to know.

butterflyk1ssez
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:11 AM

My nearing 4 year old completely understands that babies get milk from their mommies. I recommend a breastfeeding book for children. There are plenty of them on amazon.com.  Every now and then he will see a woman nursing her bbay and ask, "mommy, is that baby drinking mommys milk?" it's probably the sweetest thing ever when he is so concerned and curious. I weaned him at age 2 and he remembers slightly that he used to drink milk from mommy.  3 year olds are generally curious little human beings and may ask the why question and how a lot when he sees it or when you introduce it to him. I know my little guy asks tons of questions when we introduce a new topic to him.

If he has a question, answer it. Don't shy away from it. If he wants to know why your new baby is on mommys breast just tell him that it is normal and babies all around the world drink from mommy and mommy makes the best and perfect food.

Pregnancy Ticker

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

monkeymom1104
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:11 AM
It's spring take him to a nearby farm or zoo, show him. Then when your baby is born refer back to the experience. He will be just fine, don't hide it from him. I didn't. My kiddos told everyone..lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Just tell him that's how babies are fed.

I have four kids, all of them were breastfed and I nurse for 2+ years. I'm breastfeeding my 2 month old now, and no one even notices because it's so normal for them to see. My youngest is 2.5 years old and I nursed her until I was 7 months pregnant- so she still remembers and knows what the baby is doing.

svolkov
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:25 AM
This. Its normal and your older child should see it as normal too. That way when older kids all grown up maybe their children will be breastfed too ;)

Quoting Randi02:

Just tell him that's how babies are fed.

I have four kids, all of them were breastfed and I nurse for 2+ years. I'm breastfeeding my 2 month old now, and no one even notices because it's so normal for them to see. My youngest is 2.5 years old and I nursed her until I was 7 months pregnant- so she still remembers and knows what the baby is doing.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
xtina8817
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:28 AM
I know women hate this but I compaired it to a baby cow drinking from mommy. She giggled and now calls my boobs utters but she gets it LOL
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)