Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

sick of bedwetting

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 61 Replies

DD is 8, and still wets the bed every night.  She wears diapers (pull ups and the like leak).  Most of the time I don't mind, but and would rather deal with a wet diaper than wet sheets, but sometimes it's frustrating.  I mean really - diapers at 8?

I guess I don't have a question.  Just venting.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:31 PM
At that age, she shouldnt be wetting the bed. Do you make her go potty before bed and dont give her anything to drink an hr before bed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:33 PM

We limit drinks after dinner (a sip or two of water is fine though - not allowing that just seems mean), and she goes to the bathroom just before bed.  We've also tried an alarm - it woke us up, but she slept right through it and still soaked the bed :-(.

Quoting Anonymous:

At that age, she shouldnt be wetting the bed. Do you make her go potty before bed and dont give her anything to drink an hr before bed.

Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you talked to her pediatrician? It is not uncommon for kids to wet the bed until they are 12, but it couldn't hurt to make sure there isn't some underlying medical issue that is causing it.

CafeMom Tickers
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Yeah, we have - the doctor's not worried because she's never been dry at night.  Apparently it's more likely to be a more serious problem if she had started wetting the bed after being dry for for a while, but that's not the case with us.

There are some medications, but the doctor's not that big a fan of that (nor are we, especially when diapers keep the bed dry).

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

Have you talked to her pediatrician? It is not uncommon for kids to wet the bed until they are 12, but it couldn't hurt to make sure there isn't some underlying medical issue that is causing it.

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:09 PM

have you gotten her up in the middle of the night to go?

Sj218
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:11 PM
I totally understand. My son is 9 and still wares a pull-up every night. I'm sooooo tired of it, but his body just isn't ready I guess. I've tried all the recommended stuff...limit drinks before bed, go potty before bed, wake him up in the night... It just doesn't change anything. He is super super active and when he sleeps, he is completely out. Doc just said to try a bed wetting alar, or wait it out.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I wet the bed up til 12, it was awful for just as much as my folks. I have no advice my parents tired everything but I just stopped at 12. Good luck 

KrissyKC
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Oh the sweet an meaningly helpful comments of those that don't know....

Bedwetting was NOT an issue in my family, infact, we kids almost never had potty accidents past four.   It would have been looked down on or as a freak happening.

However, after having my own kids, and hitting the potty training and such, I discovered it's just not true for all kids.    My eldest is 11, and she wets the bed A TON...   Can't seem to stop her.   We tried EVERYTHING back when she was younger.  

Finally, after much frustration and venting to MIL one time... it was revealed that it's a big family secret.   Many of them wet the bed until the age of 12 and sometimes beyond.

ARGH...

The docs agree, and we've seen a few... there's not much we can do until she's ready.

We limit drinks, pee before bed, set alarm clocks to wake twice a night (11:30 and 3:00)... and it doesn't help...

She will pee every time we wake her, before she goes to bed, and STILL be soaked in the morning.

She even has to wash her own sheets, and I cannot afford to keep her in pull ups or adult diapers... it's just too much.   We wrapped the mattress in an inflatable mattress because the regular plastic sheets tear so easily.

She wipes down the cover with water/bleach and washes her sheets and pjs every night.   We have goodnights for camp when she goes and if she stays with family, however, at 11 she is afraid to sleep over at other girls' houses because of the diapers...

Quite frankly, there is little else I can do.   Her doc says that the nasal spray hormone stuff isn't meant to be used long term and is unhealthy long term, so he won't prescribe it for her.   He says she should grow out of this soon...

But I KNOW your frustration...

Looks like my 5 yr old might be similar and my 8 yr old son just finally stopped this year.

almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:19 PM

i totally empathize.  my 4 yo still wears pull ups.  i know 4 is really that old to deal with it, but my husband wet the bed 'til he was 10.  it's very frustrating.  even though he wears pull ups, i still ending up washing his sheets 2-3 times a week.  i wish he would hurry and grow out of it.

banana-bear
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:24 PM
Don't know if this has been said, but make sure she's not constipated. My 6 year old (who will be 7 in July) had wet the bed nightly until about 2 months ago. I started giving her Miralax and fiber gummies on alternating days. I eventually cut out the Miralax and she's just on the gummies.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)