Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Proper punishment?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

I'm at a loss right now. My 5 yo ds has been horrible the last few days. He's been mouthy, and had an attitude, telling me no, screaming and throwing fits, etc. He's not normally like this. He has his moments of course but he's not usually this bad. Here's where Idk what to do

Today, I let him watch a cartoon in my room while I was showing our plumbing guys around. He waited to long to go to the bathroom and peed all over the floor in front of the toilet. I actually went in there and he had no pants on, toilet paper in his hand and was staring at the tv. I told him to GO potty! Then walked out and apparently he didn't get there in time. So I told him no more cartoons if he was going to be too distracted to go to the bathroom. Then as I'm shutting the tv off I see that he has scratched up the entire front of the tv stand with his toy. DEEP gouge marks. 

What do I do as punishment? It's not like he can pay me to replace the tv stand.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:01 PM

BUMP!

atyou
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:02 PM
I'd be taking away Tv time for a while, dude.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Quoting atyou:

How long? Tv or all electronics?

atyou
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:05 PM
I don't know. Great question. A day or two. He's only 5 right?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting atyou:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I would research ways to fix the TV stand (like with wood putty or something) and he would help me fix it.
A 5 year old boy is going to be distractable. It's the nature of the beast. Willful destruction of property is different. He needs to help fix it and do extra chores for restitution.
edelweiss23
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Take away all electronic privileges for a day or 2.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Quoting atyou:

I don't know. Great question. A day or two. He's only 5 right?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting atyou:

Yes. I'm thinking of taking it away until we go out of town this weekend. I might make him do a chore too. Idk. 

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Take away all electronic for a couple of days. It is also to keep talking to him about WHY you took the electronics away. You need to keep talking to him about not destroying things too. It all comes down to talking to him about the behaviors that you like and the behaviors that you don't like.

I wouldn't be too upset over him peeing on the floor. Kids get distracted, it happens. I would be more upset over the damage he did to the tv stand.

Does he get an allowance?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I would research ways to fix the TV stand (like with wood putty or something) and he would help me fix it.
A 5 year old boy is going to be distractable. It's the nature of the beast. Willful destruction of property is different. He needs to help fix it and do extra chores for restitution.

It's not fixable or worth fixing, really. I'm not concerned about the way my tv stand looks really. It's a pos. I'm only concerned at his destruction of property. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Take away all electronic for a couple of days. It is also to keep talking to him about WHY you took the electronics away. You need to keep talking to him about not destroying things too. It all comes down to talking to him about the behaviors that you like and the behaviors that you don't like.

I wouldn't be too upset over him peeing on the floor. Kids get distracted, it happens. I would be more upset over the damage he did to the tv stand.

Does he get an allowance?

I wasn't that upset over him peeing on the floor, just minorly annoyed. Then I saw my tv stand and was pissed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)