• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birth Plans VS. Actual Delivery

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:03 PM
  • 39 Replies

Poll

Question: Were you able to give birth as you planned?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 51

View Results

(This is technically a repost.)

I'm especially curious about unassisted births, water births and those that chose to use a midwife and/or doula.  

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wkukid
by Beach Bum on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:05 PM

My plan was to have a birthing center birth in a tub with no meds. Now six months in I'm looking at a csection because she's big for her gestation age. So no where close to my original plan.

christina0607
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:06 PM
1 mom liked this

My plan was to give birth...I had no other expectations. I had 3 wonderful deliveries!

atyou
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Considering both of mine were preterm emergency sections....no.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:07 PM

my only plan was to give birth, and I succeeded!

LOVEZOEY
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:07 PM

nope.. forcep baby!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this
My plan was go in pregnant, and leave with a baby. With hopefully an epidural in between... My plan worked to a t lol

I personally think birth plans are overrated and set women up to be disappointed in their birth experience, but that is just my opinion.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RoseBlossom
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:10 PM

my third child i planned on having an epidural. i had never even taken a birthing class. so i come in and have the nurse from hell tell me that i am like -1 cm dilated. i was wtf...thats not even possible plus my Dr told me i was 3 cm dilated and i had started to have labor pains. anyways a few hours later after she told me to walk around n stuff, i had to lay down because the pain was too much. so she comes in and checks me and im like can i get the epidural yet? she says sorry but its too late. i started to cry but it hurt too much. so i had to have a natural birth with no pain medication because of this bitch. then right after i had my daughter they made me stand and walk over to a wheel chair. i was wheeled down to the elevator and to the next floor because they didnt have enough beds. i still had blood on my hospital gown as they were doing this. it was the birth from hell

ajdahd13
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Yup! Both times. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I voted "yes" b/c the most important things were the way I wanted them.  DH was there, he cut the cord, no epidural, no c-section, almost entirely natrual, very few minor interventions.

No, things did not go EXACTLY as I wanted them to.  Obviously it hurt a lot more than I thought/remembered; I ended up getting the IV meds to "take the edge off the pain".  With my last delivery, I was induced; I wanted to do it without the pitocin, but I didn't listen to my midwife, they did give it to me, and then the position she had been telling me to use all day is exactly what got my LO's head in my pelivis straight, and I delivered a couple of hours later.

ajdahd13
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Yeah I agree. 

Quoting Anonymous:

My plan was go in pregnant, and leave with a baby. With hopefully an epidural in between... My plan worked to a t lol

I personally think birth plans are overrated and set women up to be disappointed in their birth experience, but that is just my opinion.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)