Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How common is this? Mommy Friend Problems:

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:04 PM
  • 67 Replies

My youngest daughter is extremely social. She was one of those kids in school who knew just about everyone. She never had a single issue making friends. Now that she is married and has kids of her own, though, she is having trouble finding peers. She goes to college, but the kids at her college all seem to live with their parents and when she interacts with them, they only invite her to go clubbing with them. 

Other young ladies her age (20 years) with children still live with their parents and don't have a lot in common with her. In fact a few girls at the college actually told her it was 'weird' that she is married to the father of her kids and that he is the father of both of them (she steered clear of those girls). She wants to find other mothers who are married and are around her age. 

I suggested church, but her church was full of older people. I suggested playgroups, but she said there weren't any in our large metropolitan area. I googled it to find out and she was telling the truth. There were playgroups for dogs in our area, and playgroups for Italian kids and Portuguese kids, but those were the only three that were in our city. 

Her neighborhood is an older community, full of retired people or the parents of teens. 

At a loss, I suggested the local library.

What do you young women do to befriend other parents?

My poor daughter is so miserable without having friends with the same interests as herself.

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:06 PM

why cant she be friends with the girls she knows that have children but live at home?

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:06 PM
4 moms liked this

did she try meetup.com, that is where I found my moms group

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:07 PM

why cant she be friends with italian or pertuguese kids?

bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I am 25 so I don't know if I qualify lol, but I have always had issues making friends (my oldest is 5) since having children. especially since women seem to want friends that are their age or have all the kids the same ages and genders. but I have managed to make some friends that are closer to 10 years older than me :)

Jade_Lufercus
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Hell, I'm in the same boat as she is. Bump for you, though.

kidkrazyinAK
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:09 PM
2 moms liked this

They don't have to be her age...only her maturity. A 25 year old mom would probably be a better fit for her.

Try playgrounds, kids play places, any place where people take kids that age.

thenameshailie
by Emerald Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Aside from college or work, I have no idea how adults make friends

Sanctimommy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:10 PM

The girls who live with their parents seem to not understand why she can't go out without her kids. She said they leave their children with their parents frequently and seem puzzled as to why she doesn't want to just go off for a weekend at the beach or what have you without her husband or kids. And they talk a lot about dating and guys. She has no interest in dating or guys. 

Quoting Anonymous:

why cant she be friends with the girls she knows that have children but live at home?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:11 PM
2 moms liked this

so than she is not looking for a girlfriend. She is looking for a family for her family to be friends with. 

Quoting Sanctimommy:

The girls who live with their parents seem to not understand why she can't go out without her kids. She said they leave their children with their parents frequently and seem puzzled as to why she doesn't want to just go off for a weekend at the beach or what have you without her husband or kids. And they talk a lot about dating and guys. She has no interest in dating or guys. 

Quoting Anonymous:

ksueditz
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this
I joined an exercise program, and struck up conversations w/ some of the women. A few have children the same age as mine. Also, before and after school pick up, I've met a few mommies w/ similar interests.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN