Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O of another post. Should you just show up at the hospital after a birth?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies
Someone had a post up about her friend not calling to invite her to come see the baby and a bunch of moms were saying she didn't need to be invited and that she should just pack up a gift and go on her own accord and then it turned out that after she posted her post, the friend called and said she wanted to see her when she was home and didn't want visitors. I have a few friends myself who were like that and were not happy that some people just took it upon themselves to show up unannounced. What is your opinion? Do you think people should just show up after someone has a baby or should they call and ask if they're up to it first? For me personally, I was fine with close family members and my best 2 friends showing up, but there were some other "friends" whom I wasn't close to who showed up completely unannounced and I was irritated. With my first, it was 2 girls from high school that I hadn't seen in a year and was never super close with, and with my second, one of my friends showed up during my labor and hung around without even asking. I think it's rude.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ms.Pink.
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:37 PM
I personally never cared
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ilovemykids732
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:39 PM
Same here, as long as they weren't in the room for delivery; I didn't care at all!

Quoting Ms.Pink.:

I personally never cared

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nocalmegan
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:39 PM
I usually just wanna be left alone in the hospital. I had very few visitors with dd1 and only my older dd and my gramma for my second.
mommy_me
by Emerald Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:40 PM
No i find it rude to just show up. After birth you are sore, bloody, getting checked by drs and bonding.

Wait until we get home to see baby. The first few days is for mom dad and maybe grandparents if invited
NoahandEliza
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:40 PM
Call first. I didn't want visitors until I got home, including family.
Melbornj
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Doesn't bother me.

Maevelyn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:41 PM

I always let my friends know that I would love to come see them when they are in the hospital and I message them and let them know that I would love to drop by if they are up to it. I also offer to bring nonhospital food. 

Garnet_Iris11
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I wanted my family and close friends to come and see us at the hospital because I didn't want a lot of visitors at home. Anyone else I wanted them to call/text before they headed to the hospital. Not to mention.. there was a bit of family drama so the nurses station had to call me before allowing anyone to my room.

CafeMom Tickers

JLS2388
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I don't think you should wait to be invited but you should call and ask if the person is up for visitors

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:42 PM
Yeah, I hear ya. I was fine with visitors if it were the visitors I asked to be there. Good thing the girl who posted it DIDN'T just show up because it turns out her friend didn't want the visitors there.

Quoting mommy_me:

No i find it rude to just show up. After birth you are sore, bloody, getting checked by drs and bonding.

Wait until we get home to see baby. The first few days is for mom dad and maybe grandparents if invited

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)