Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"Mom, That Funny Kid Has Autism!"

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 29 Replies
1 mom liked this

There is a boy in DS' preschool class.  He and DS are both 5 and about to start Kindergarten.  I don't know his Mom very well, but every time I saw that kid, he was doing something very different from the others, like he liked to be in the group, just not a part of the group.  I never thought more about it.  We went to his birthday party, and he didn't play.  He more sat and watched the other kids play with a big smile on his face.  He also didn't want to open the presents, because he didn't want to rip the paper. We all ended up helping to carefully peel the taped corners up and fold the paper for him.

About a week later I got a letter from the school saying the kids were calling this boy "Funny Boy" and they thought they were picking on him.  I told DS to call him by his name, and he said they called him "Funny Boy" because he always had a smile on his face, that they weren't being mean, they liked that he was always smiling.

Today I went to pick DS up from Preschool.  I saw the boy there and his Mom was talking to the teacher and CRYING.  I guess he just got diagnosed with Autism.  I don't where he is on the spectrum, but she seemed so upset, she even told me as I was walking by trying to respect her privacy that he has Autism, so I stopped to listen with her and the teacher since she clearly needed people to talk to.  ( was a bit uncomfortable, since I don't know much about Autism or this woman and her son.)

The Mom talked about being in denial, how she suspected, how she should have taken the teacher's advice last year when they said he wasn't doing as well as the other kids socializing, etc.  She said there might be more than Autism going on, and she was afraid to move him on to Kindergarten next year.

Then she said her son has NEVER played.  NEVER.  The teacher confirmed that he didn't really play at school, either.  But that was OK.  He was still a pleasure to be around, the other kids loved him.  I told her what my son said about the name "Funny Boy" and that they loved his big grin and thought he was awesome.

And then, the ENTIRE class started hopping on one foot.  One girl started singing "Funny Boy, Funny Boy, hop hop hop with us!"

And the boy actually hopped on one foot for a couple seconds, then sat down with his usual big grin.  (It really is a killer grin.  This kid could make anybody melt with his smile.)  All the kids told him how great he was for hopping.

I don't know much about Autism, but somehow I felt this was a huge deal.  I was touched to see this entire class of kids being nice and encouraging him to PLAY.  I guess they could hear his Mom crying, even though we were trying to quiet her down in the hall.

I ended up giving her my number, offering to do play dates over the summer.  And I told her to try Kindergarten, because her son and my son will be in the same class.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweetmelissa777
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:41 PM
I think its great that ur offering support! Autism is a hard bite to chew, believe me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I guess I always thought kids got diagnosed earlier?  I was always under the impression he was shy and a bit slow to pick up on new things, kwim?  He really is a sweetie, though.  Doesn't talk much, but his face is so interactive.

Quoting sweetmelissa777:

I think its great that ur offering support! Autism is a hard bite to chew, believe me.

ERMAGERRD
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:45 PM

If I was the mother, I wouldnt be crying or upset. I would feel just as blessed and happy to have him as my son. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:48 PM

I was thinking that while she was crying.  He is still an amazing and sweet boy.  I guess I'll be getting to know them a bit better this summer.  Maybe I can try to help her see that side of things.

Quoting ERMAGERRD:

If I was the mother, I wouldnt be crying or upset. I would feel just as blessed and happy to have him as my son. 

ERMAGERRD
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Yeah, what does the DX change? He is still the same kid. Its not like you can DIE from Autism.

Quoting Anonymous:

I was thinking that while she was crying.  He is still an amazing and sweet boy.  I guess I'll be getting to know them a bit better this summer.  Maybe I can try to help her see that side of things.

Quoting ERMAGERRD:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:50 PM

That poor mama.  Getting the autism diagnosis is very hard.  We were in denial for a couple of years.  We seriously thought he was having hearing issues and had him screened.  He had water issues and pressure issues, but it cleared with medicine.  Went back in 6 months later and were to told that he has great hearing.  We saw a psychologist and a couple of therapists for a screening.  Sure enough, it came back as autism.  My dh cried hard.  I cried a lot.  It was and still is hard (been about 4 months).  Be supportive of her as much as possible.  At least you are very caring and compassionate.  I really wish I could find someone like you!

A_McCool
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:54 PM

When the diagnosis occurs really depends on a lot of factors,  Hell,  I'm almost 27 and was just evaluated last month.

Quoting Anonymous:

I guess I always thought kids got diagnosed earlier?  I was always under the impression he was shy and a bit slow to pick up on new things, kwim?  He really is a sweetie, though.  Doesn't talk much, but his face is so interactive.

Quoting sweetmelissa777:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:55 PM

I suppose I was in the right place at the right time.  I hope you do find someone who will try to help.  I really think that class of kids he's in with now has made a major difference for him.  I mean, how often do we hear about the "different" kid being bullied?  But instead all these kids look out for him and adore him.  I hope most of them continue to help as they all get older.

Quoting Anonymous:

That poor mama.  Getting the autism diagnosis is very hard.  We were in denial for a couple of years.  We seriously thought he was having hearing issues and had him screened.  He had water issues and pressure issues, but it cleared with medicine.  Went back in 6 months later and were to told that he has great hearing.  We saw a psychologist and a couple of therapists for a screening.  Sure enough, it came back as autism.  My dh cried hard.  I cried a lot.  It was and still is hard (been about 4 months).  Be supportive of her as much as possible.  At least you are very caring and compassionate.  I really wish I could find someone like you!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:57 PM

I've got my work cut out for me.  I want to educate myself on it so I can be helpful to her.  I honestly don't even know her husband, he's military and was deployed during the birthday party.  There is so much to try and learn and take in, though!

May I ask what your results were?

Quoting A_McCool:

When the diagnosis occurs really depends on a lot of factors,  Hell,  I'm almost 27 and was just evaluated last month.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting sweetmelissa777:

A_McCool
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:02 PM

I'm still waiting on the report.  It should be sometime within a week or so.  I had it done at a college (by a student) because no one else was interested in evaluating an adult.  Since it was done by a student, it had to be recorded, and the video and his conclusions have to be reviewed by a clinical psychologist so it takes a bit longer.

Quoting Anonymous:

I've got my work cut out for me.  I want to educate myself on it so I can be helpful to her.  I honestly don't even know her husband, he's military and was deployed during the birthday party.  There is so much to try and learn and take in, though!

May I ask what your results were?

Quoting A_McCool:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting sweetmelissa777:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)