Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Daycare wont wipe his butt!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 41 Replies
1 mom liked this

My ds is almost three.He attends a program is for kids ages 2 and up. Anyway, my he is potty trained has had pooping problems but he recently started going regularly. Today he told me he pooped in the potty but was sad becuase attempted to wipe, thne was stuck and didnt know how to wipe his butt. He sat there and cried and NO ONE helped him. When we got home I found residue on his underwear and he still had some in his butt crack. Is this normal? Are kids expected to wipe their own butts in preschool? They call it a 'preschool program' but they basically just play on the playground for 2.5 hours and do an art projects and trips. 

Today I addressed it and his daycare teacher said, "So he's not getting all of it when he wipes?"  I said, "No." But what I was thinking was, "You expect my 2 year old to wipe his own a** successfully?? Are you insane??" They had no prob wiping his ass when he was in diapers back in November.  So which is it? Am I oblivious here? Are there actually toddlers who can successfully wipe their own butt with no help at this early an age? Im concerned that if my ds is forced to sit on the potty and cry until he tries to wipe his own butt we'll go backwards as far as potty training is concerned.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:31 PM

BUMP!

Stephd710
by Emerald Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Did they not know he might need help?  Maybe they thought he was able to do it himself.  Did they say there were going to start helping him?

RaynesMommy07
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like they didn't know he couldn't and that he didn't tell them. Tell him when he needs help in the bathroom that he needs to let someone know that he's going poop and will need assistance.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
matofour
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:34 PM
Yes he should be able to wipe his own butt. Regulations for pre school and day care are different.
Send him with a box of wipes tell him to use them if he poops.
And you need to have him wipe his butt at joke as well.
JP-StrongForTwo
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I wish i could help hon :( My DD is 9 and cannot do it yet. its one of the reasons she is considered disabled. daycares/after school care wont take her because she is not considered 'fully potty trained' yet 

mich.el.le
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:34 PM

At the daycare I worked at, we weren't allowed to wipe potty trained kids.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:35 PM

They might not have known. I would think that even if it's called pre-school, it's still run like a daycare where the teachers can still be more hands on with the kids, than if it were in elementary.

LilliesValley
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:36 PM
If you are getting a lower rate because he's "potty trained" then maybe not. But that seems really young. I think dd they couldn't move on and us get a lower rate unless she was four. We workers on wiping at home too and if I noticed skid marks we would go over things. We also use wet wipes at home and so I had to explain the difference in wiping to dd. What is the schools expectations?
Strawberry2008
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:37 PM

hmm...I'm not sure about it policy wise. But just as a thought, have you had him try the toddler wipes? They are basically baby wipes in a plain case. I even know adults that use them. It makes it easier to wipes and make sure there isn't any left behind. 

hp2011
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol mine bends completely over head between legs when standing and wipes his butt from underneath.... that boy is something else.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)