• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom's that live in apartments?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies

What do you like and not like about it? We are having to move out of our house due to the fact that my DH had lost his job and is now making a lot less than before. We are looking into apartments so what do you love and hate about living in one?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AleaKat
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Getting groceries in when you live up a flight if stairs is a pain.
But living on the top means no above neighbor noises.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bellawomen
by Summer on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:47 PM
I prefer the second floor. No one looking in the windows, no one stomping on the ceiling, etc. Groceries suck, but that's just once a week.

Make sure you get a place with good closets.
divinedimension
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:48 PM

We lived in one when we first got married. I loved it because the rent was soo wonderfully affordable. Landlords in apartments generally just leave you alone as long as you're not a nuisance and pay on time. So we didn't have issues with the landlords. However, the neighbors were always disruptive. Our upstairs neighbor sounded like a buffalo in high heels in the morning before she left for her job. I don't know why she chose to talk all around upstairs in the high heels all morning before leaving as opposed to putting the shoes on when she was on the way out the door. But let's just say I never needed an alarm clock. Clop clop clop every fucking morning at 5:30am! 

Also, people blasted their music at odd hours or even during regular hours and it would wake the baby.

I loved the fact that if something was broken, it got fixed..FAST. Not so much with landlords who own homes. 

LilrockerMama
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:53 PM
I live upstairs and just walking around the neighbors below us start pounding on the ceiling.. I have a two yr old and an 8 yr old I can't keep them still 24/7 but literally we will just be walking and they do it! Then bringing up groceries. And we have inspections that I hate and they are extrememly picky and ridiculous about it... They are extremely slow at fixing things... They charge you for every little thing... I have a big apartment though with lots of closets... That's my only plus really.. Lol I hate it here overall. But I couldn't get anything this size for the price so I'm stuck...
theosgirl45
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:55 PM

I like being closer to town, closer to neighbors(I have a neighbor who comes over in the morning to watch DS while I walk DD to the bus stop), there is a playground, other kids, I don't have to worry about mowing the grass or fixing the leaky faucet(they take care of that.)  I don't like; living so close to the neighbors I don't like lol, all the rules(I.E. no kiddie pools, limits on how many pets you can have, how big your pets can be, etc).  Most of our neighbors are quiet and friendly so we are lucky there.

In vain he thrusts his fists against the posts and still insists he sees the ghosts.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:58 PM

so far I can see that I might like it. I mean if we don't get a apartment than i have to move in with my MIL. don't get me wrong I love my MIL but I want my own space. Thank you ladies

mariesmama
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:59 PM

i like not having to fix stuff if it breaks

Pink.Sunshine.
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:59 PM

I only have 1 neighbor above me so it's great.. I hated being the upstairs neighbors.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Dh and I lived in one before we were married. It was actually more of a town house though, no stairs to worry about. I loved the fact that we didn't have to worry about things breaking and all that, but where I live renting an apartment is a lot more expensive (monthly) than owning a home. Our rent was $1300 for a 2bedroom apt and we pay $781 now for our home, 2500 sq ft, on 3 acres, plus a 1bedroom guest house.

Princess.Sara
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:03 PM

I have the same problem with the neighbors below us, I hate it!! I can't make my 2 1/2 year old sit still 24/7. And they blast their music soo loud that it has woken us up before, so I stomped on my floor and they threw a little witch fit. Bringing up groceries seriously does suck! I hate living in an apartment, but DH got it while we were separated and signed a one year lease, so we are stuck till December :(

Quoting LilrockerMama:

I live upstairs and just walking around the neighbors below us start pounding on the ceiling.. I have a two yr old and an 8 yr old I can't keep them still 24/7 but literally we will just be walking and they do it! Then bringing up groceries. And we have inspections that I hate and they are extrememly picky and ridiculous about it... They are extremely slow at fixing things... They charge you for every little thing... I have a big apartment though with lots of closets... That's my only plus really.. Lol I hate it here overall. But I couldn't get anything this size for the price so I'm stuck...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)