Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Silverfish.....wtf?!!?!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies

So this is our first spring in our new home. The house sits right smack dab in the middle of the woods. Today I was cleaning the bathroom and found TWO silverfish. I've never dealt with these before. How do I get rid of them? And is there a risk of these being in like main living spaces of the house? I'm so scared to walk anywhere without shoes! Help! I have such a fear of bugs lol

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LucyHourglass
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:49 PM

ewww idk

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:51 PM

We have them too, but only in the bathrooms and the kitchen. They eat stuff like wallpaper, the glue from wallpaper, toilet paper, etc. it can get bad when there's a lot of moisture in the air.

There's aerially not that much you can do to get rid of them. There are some things you can buy to put in problem areas, but they don't work. We have an exterminator company that comes out once every three months and sprays, but we still get silverfish.

The only advice I have is to put things like your flour in an airtight container. Try to take away their food source the best you can.

Oh and I've never seen more than three or four in a week period. That will happen and then I won't see any for a few months. I almost always see them in the bath tub or sink.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:51 PM

uh, good luck.  We have them, and they're hard to get rid of.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:51 PM
We had them in our basement shower once when I was a kid. In my head there were millions of them, but I'm sure that there were only a couple lol I don't know what my mom did to make sure they never came back, buy I don't remember ever seeing them again.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:51 PM

I KNOW!! I'm freaking out lol

Quoting LucyHourglass:

ewww idk

nanasue31204
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:51 PM
They aren't dangerous, they do like to eat fibers so things like clothing, wallpaper, etc can be damaged. You could probably contact an exterminator to get rid of them. Good luck, I hate creepy crawlers too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Off to Google I do not know what these are.

SadeAyosmom
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:52 PM

they will be everywhere youll just hav to routinely bomb your place and keep a sprayer going. thats what we do.

vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:53 PM

I have no idea but good luck!

.Elena
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Diatomaceous earth. Sprinkle it in the corners and around the base boards, you'll seldom if ever see them again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)