Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Really stupid question

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies
This is a really stupid question, but I need to know. I had to have a broken tooth pulled this morning and it won't stop bleeding so I keep packing it with gauze like they told me to. On my instructions it say not to sleep with the guaze packed in there. I am soo tired though and want to take a nap while my newborn is asleep, but it hurts like hell when I take the gauze out. Would it really be so bad if I took a nap with the gauze in?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:22 PM

BUMP

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:25 PM
I would call and ask.
personally I prolly would. It isnt like I will be sleeping all night just a lil bit with a newborn....
there agian you should call and make sure. they may not want gauze to be on there longer than an hour and then a nap wouldnt work out the same....
Good luck and I hope you get some relief.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:35 PM
There are a few reasons they ask you not to sleep with the gauze in.

#1, it's a choking hazard

#2, leaving it in too long might cause infection

Call and ask them what they recommend. Keeping the gauze in poses the choking risk, but it can't continue to bleed either. It's a call for the dentist to make.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
im_not_trollin
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this

They just tell you that so it doesn't fall and choke you... That's the only reason. I slept with it in my mouth when I had my wisdom teeth pulled....

AntzMom24
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:37 PM

When my tooth was pulled I was told to only use the gauze for 3 hours. Not to suck because that would remove the clot, and to eat soft foods on the opposite side. Using gauze theentire time it's healing will cause an infection. 

aphrodite7400
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:38 PM

when i had mine out recently, the dentist said if it didnt stop bleeding in 2 hours, or so, i should call right away.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I say go for it! If you havent choked to death..get up and let us know! lol jk but seriously, Ive slept with gauze in my mouth.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:43 PM
Get a regular tea bag and steep it in hot water for about a minute then firmly press it into the gum area where the tooth was pulled. A fewinutes of that should slow or stop the bleeding. You can do that a couple of times a day, if need be. Feel better.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)