Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this cruel?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 65 Replies

My friends daughter is 5 years old and compulsively chews on her hair. It's kind of gross, but habitual. I really think most of the time she doesn't even know she's doing it. I may be biased, because I had a pretty bad nail biting habit as a kid and my mom would freak out at me for doing it and I literally wouldn't even remember biting them off. lol

Anyways, my friend nagged and nagged and nagged about it and she was getting more and more upset and finally in a fit of frustration, cut all of her daughters hair off with a pair of kitchen scissor. Her daughter has bright red, super curly hair and now it's about two inches long, slightly uneven (they went to the hair dresser but there wasn't much they could do to even it up) and poofy. 

Her daughter was devestated. She feels kind of bad about it but basically says she was in the right.

I think what she did was cruel as fuck. She's just a little girl, and now she has to go to school with awful hair, and all over something I legitimately do not believe she really even could help doing.

What do you think?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
happinessforyou
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Pony tail?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:36 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes she took that shit too damn far..what a moron.

AugustMomma
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I think it's sad.

MallorysMom07
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh poor girl, that is awful.

LucyHarper
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I would get it cut by a barber into a nice looking style, but I would still get it cut short. Its not cruel, our rule is unless you can take care of your long hair, you have short hair. If they couldn't keep it out of their mouth, then it would be cut so they can't put it in their mouth so they can overcome the habit.

-42-
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:38 PM
2 moms liked this
Yeah, that was a shitty thing to do.

She could have taken the time to fix her hair so it wasn't there for her to chew....braids, ponytails, buns, etc.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:38 PM

It CAN be helped.  It's a habit.  And, habits can be broken.  I don't think it was cruel at all.  Although, I do think it could have been handled a bit differently.  I would have told the little girl that if she didn't stop chewing on her hair, then she'd have to get it cut.  If she didn't stop, then off to Cost Cutters we'd go.

MamaJess9
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Your friend is a psycho.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jessy613
by Diamond Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Why not just pull her daughters hair back in a pony tail?

I think she overreacted and went way overboard.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Right?

I mean, ok.....if you're really that serious about it you take her to the hairdresser and you get a cute pixy cut.

You don't drag her into a chair and cut off her hair with kitchen scissors while she's crying her eyes out.

Her justification is that she "warned her".

Smh.

Quoting AugustMomma:

I think it's sad.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)