• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do YOU have a DNR? What if ...

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:01 PM
  • 27 Replies

So I just finished a book called "The Promise of Stardust"  and it has left me wondering ... 

Do you have a DNR? I do. I do not want to be kept alive by machines if I am in a vegetative state. My family knows this (since I have medical issues, I frequently keep updated my advanced directives, and medical POA paperwork) and they all agree with me. But this book got me thinking ... 

What if you had a DNR ... but were pregnant? Does your AD dictate any stipulations? 

I can't have babies anymore, due to a hysterectomy when I was 24 .. but after reading this book, and talking to my husband - we are thinking about adding a stipulation. I still have an ovary, and my husband and I do not have any children together. As it stands now, I can't take the hormones needed to stimulate ovulation for IVF to use my eggs. Well ... what if (God forbid) I'm left in a vegetative state? Why couldn't they do it then? I mean ... I'm going to die anyway, may as well stimulate the ovary and use the eggs so my husband could find a surrogate and have a child. 

Anyway ... what would YOU do? If you were pregnant (early - like 10wks) and something happened to you, would you want to be kept alive by machines in order to give the fetus a chance? 

Most Advanced Directive orders do not have this as apart of the paperwork - and only 12 states in the US will allow a pregnancy to nullify a DNR. 

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cassidysmom611
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:32 PM

I do not have a DNR, however I will be doing one before I have gastric bypass in the fall.

It I was pregnant and they could keep me and the baby alive till the baby was safe to deliver, then yes I would want them to.

anotherhalf
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:34 PM
I don't have a DNR. If I have a heart attack I want them to try hard as they can to bring me back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Yup I have a DNR I have had one and renew it every 3 years. I have stipulations on mine if there is no way to save me do not put me on a machine.

Quoting JessT5280:

So I just finished a book called "The Promise of Stardust"  and it has left me wondering ... 

Do you have a DNR? I do. I do not want to be kept alive by machines if I am in a vegetative state. My family knows this (since I have medical issues, I frequently keep updated my advanced directives, and medical POA paperwork) and they all agree with me. But this book got me thinking ... 

What if you had a DNR ... but were pregnant? 

I can't have babies anymore, due to a hysterectomy when I was 24 .. but after reading this book, and talking to my husband - we are thinking about adding a stipulation. I still have an ovary, and my husband and I do not have any children. As it stands now, I can't take the hormones needed to stimulate ovulation for IVF to use my eggs. Well ... what if (God forbid) I'm left in a vegetative state? Why couldn't they do it then? I mean ... I'm going to die anyway, may as well stimulate the ovary and use the eggs so my husband could find a surrogate and have a child. 

Anyway ... what would YOU do? If you were pregnant (early - like 10wks) and something happened to you, would you want to be kept alive by machines in order to give the fetus a chance? 

Most DNR's do not have this as apart of the paperwork - and only 12 states in the US will allow a pregnancy to nullify a DNR. 

momtolittleg
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:36 PM

I would leave it up to my husband. If he wanted the baby, good for him. If for some reason he found it too difficult to go through that or raise the baby alone, so be it. 

BEXi
by BEXi on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:36 PM

I do not have one, but I would like one.

BluePandaDreams
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I have seen firsthand what it looks like to see someone kept alive via a machine. I refuse to allow myself to be put in that same position for ANY reason. And my family knows that. I also have it in writing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamoore83
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I never thought about that. If I were pregnant I definitely want to be kept alive I don't care if I'm ventilated with a trach or anything keep me alive until I go into labor, do everything possible top keep baby alive. Barring pregnancy I don't want all the machines etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:44 PM
If there is no higher brain function or if i would have a low quality of life, i dont want to be kept alive.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JessT5280
by MileHigh Mom on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:44 PM

What if you were pregnant though? Would you want to give the baby a chance, or would you still want your family to honor your wishes of the DNR? 

Quoting Anonymous:

Yup I have a DNR I have had one and renew it every 3 years. I have stipulations on mine if there is no way to save me do not put me on a machine.

Quoting JessT5280:

What if you had a DNR ... but were pregnant? 

I can't have babies anymore, due to a hysterectomy when I was 24 .. but after reading this book, and talking to my husband - we are thinking about adding a stipulation. I still have an ovary, and my husband and I do not have any children. As it stands now, I can't take the hormones needed to stimulate ovulation for IVF to use my eggs. Well ... what if (God forbid) I'm left in a vegetative state? Why couldn't they do it then? I mean ... I'm going to die anyway, may as well stimulate the ovary and use the eggs so my husband could find a surrogate and have a child. 

Most DNR's do not have this as apart of the paperwork - and only 12 states in the US will allow a pregnancy to nullify a DNR. 

JessT5280
by MileHigh Mom on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Completely understandable ... but what if you were pregnant? Would that change your mind? 

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

If there is no higher brain function or if i would have a low quality of life, i dont want to be kept alive.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)