Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Well I know someone with that...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies

Everytime I quote someones reply and tell them that there is a disorder for something, a minute ago it was hair chewing, the person I am quoting always, ALWAYS knows someone with that exact illness or disorder!

Anyone else notice that, for example and I am making this up:

A post about nail biting:

Someone replys that its a habit and you can spank your child to stop them. I then quote that reply and say well not always, there are disorders and reasons for that, sometimes its nerves or OCD.

Immeditaly that same person knows someone who has OCD.

OR

A post about a childs growth ( another example not real) they are tall and lengthy. Someone reply and says normal, I quote then and say, maybe if its unusual you should take them to the doctor, there are lots of things like Marfans Syndrome that can cause that, better to get check it out and immediately the person I quoted will know someone with Marfans!

Im just amazed that whatever is being talked about immediately in defense the person I am talking to will know someone like that or with the disease or disorder, its so convenient!

Anyone else notice this?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Schmoopi
by QueenOfAllThings on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:23 PM

This is a big forum.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:26 PM

THat is not what I mean, I figure everyone in here knows someone with something! What I mean is when I am making a point or arguing with someone and I mention a disease or disorder, they immediately know more than me because they know someone with it, its like a defense mechanism! 

Quoting Schmoopi:

This is a big forum.

Schmoopi
by QueenOfAllThings on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I have a girlfriend with Marfans. She's 6'8". I am 6'1" and there are many reasons why I know what it is. My best friend (since we were 10) has Tourettes Syndrome. I get upset when people joke about it. I wouldn't say either of my life experiences qualify me as an expert or defensive.

Quoting Anonymous:

THat is not what I mean, I figure everyone in here knows someone with something! What I mean is when I am making a point or arguing with someone and I mention a disease or disorder, they immediately know more than me because they know someone with it, its like a defense mechanism! 

Quoting Schmoopi:

This is a big forum.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Not specifically that, but every silly name post someone knows the lemojello orangejello twins, and la-ah. Also almost everytime you offer someone helpful advice on how to improve a situation they have a million excuses for why they can't do anything.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:40 PM

First of all, I wasnt joking about it, my son has Marfans, so would joke about it, I used that  as an example! Secondly, you arent getting what I mean, sorry!

Quoting Schmoopi:

I have a girlfriend with Marfans. She's 6'8". I am 6'1" and there are many reasons why I know what it is. My best friend (since we were 10) has Tourettes Syndrome. I get upset when people joke about it. I wouldn't say either of my life experiences qualify me as an expert or defensive.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Schmoopi:

This is a big forum.

Schmoopi
by QueenOfAllThings on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:52 PM

People try to be overly helpful sometimes. I don't think you should take it personally.

I'm sorry about your son. How old is he? How tall? Are you and/or your hubs or SO tall?

Quoting Anonymous:

First of all, I wasnt joking about it, my son has Marfans, so would joke about it, I used that  as an example! Secondly, you arent getting what I mean, sorry!

Quoting Schmoopi:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Schmoopi:

This is a big forum.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)