• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this common???

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:58 PM
  • 4 Replies

Before spring break, my son's school sent home a letter asking for recommendations regarding their school programs.

I had sent a note saying that "If students are going to be taken off of school property, a permission slip or some other sort of notification should be sent home before the field trip."

I received a note from my son's teacher on a photocopy of the school handbook "This is in parent handbook and goes w/ trips to Chapel Ridge- any trips out of town will have a permission slip."  (word for word, poor grammar and all)

Now the student handbook reads "Occasionally, teachers take the students for short walks off school property.  They may go for a walk looking for certain types of leaves in the fall or down to the public library for a tour.  Every effort is made to ensure that your child is safe.  Please notify the school in writing if you do not want your child to go on the local field trips."  

Okay my assumption is that if they are taking a bus anywhere- there should be a permission slip or notification that the students will be leaving the school.  

My son has been taken off school property via bus FOUR times this school year without my knowledge that he would be leaving- I found out after the fact.  Once, there was a note on a "weekly agenda" that was sent home, and then one other time where the Asst. Principal sent a note home.  I'm okay with him going on field trips, I am not okay with him leaving school without my knowledge.    

Is this a common thing for schools?  I've dealt with three school districts in my lifetime and this is the first where they feel it's okay to bus students from school property without notifying the parents.

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
KeishaJL
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:04 PM

No way, I'd totally freak out.  NOONE takes my kid off school property for any reason.  I signed an agreement with the bus driver that she's the only one to transport my kids that doesn't have my blood in their veins and only with our permission.  I would go to the next school board meeting.  Call them and see if they need to put you on the allowed list to speak or whatever.  Ours is like going to court in the 1800s where you ask permission to speak in NEXT months meeting. gah.

cmabbott
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you!  When we went to visit the school my son will be attending next year (because we have had numerous problems with this one), the first thing I asked was "Would a student ever be taken off school property without notification to the parents", the principals response was "Absolutely not.  Permission slips are signed if they will be leaving school property- even for a walk.  If a signed permission slip is not returned, the student will not leave the property and other arrangements will be made."  Her response was exactly what I had heard from my oldest DD's school district.  I wrote an email to the teacher explaining to her exactly what my recommendation was, and that I didn't appreciate her "note", I had also wrote an email to the principal about her note, and why it's unacceptable to take students from school grounds without notification- regardless of my initials in the parent handbook.  DH wont allow me to go to a school board meeting, I fought with him about our son going there in the first place!  Now he understands why lol.

Quoting KeishaJL:

No way, I'd totally freak out.  NOONE takes my kid off school property for any reason.  I signed an agreement with the bus driver that she's the only one to transport my kids that doesn't have my blood in their veins and only with our permission.  I would go to the next school board meeting.  Call them and see if they need to put you on the allowed list to speak or whatever.  Ours is like going to court in the 1800s where you ask permission to speak in NEXT months meeting. gah.

casah4
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I absolutely would not be ok with that. I need to know where my child is at all times. Period. 

irvinehiker
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:24 PM
1 mom liked this

IDK bc I homeschool but I would be pissed.  What if there was a family emergency?  It's completely reasonable to know where your kid is at all times.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)