• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

landlord harassing about kids

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:35 PM
  • 60 Replies

So basically, my landlord has been harassing me about my son crying because he just turned 2 and the other just turned 1 so one is well into the "terrible 2s" and the other is headed there quickly. So they cry alot right now, but that's how most toddler boys are. I know that our state has laws regarding housing discrimination against people with kids, so can I get him into trouble for repeatedly harassing me?

My kids are in daycare and only home a few hours in the evening & home on weekends. I don't even see where it's possible that they are making as much noise as he says they are. A neighbor also complained about my kids touching my window curtains which I put up myself. So I was told not to allow them to touch my windows/curtains. You cannot even see my window from street level as I'm on the top floor.

So what really pissed me off is that he point blank asked me to take the kids out of the house on Friday because he has an important phone call to make. Well my kids are in daycare then anyway which he knows so it seems like he's just bringing up my kids to be a jerk.

So I need to know if he's harassing me unfairly, like I said this all just started within the past week, and he's complained about my kids 3 times this week. I know there are laws about housing discrimination regarding people with kids..Does anyone know about this?

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:36 PM

what does he live downstairs from you or something?

xixCandyxix
by Candy on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:37 PM
Quoting MrsDavidB25:

what does he live downstairs from you or something?

Yes.

spunky946
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Well most normal kids aren't fussy all of the time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:41 PM
Do you live in separate units or do you rent a room? If you have separate units than he should have installed better insulation that blocks sounds. A kid crying - especially at dinner time when they just start daycare - is a normal noise
xixCandyxix
by Candy on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Separate units. Like I said my kids are only home 3 hours in the evening and on weekends. But we stayed home today to go out with family.

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you live in separate units or do you rent a room? If you have separate units than he should have installed better insulation that blocks sounds. A kid crying - especially at dinner time when they just start daycare - is a normal noise

irvinehiker
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:43 PM

He IS harassing you.  Do some google searching and see if your state has a rental hotline you can call and find out your rights.  Find out if your city has a noise ordinance.  (most do, no noise after 10 PM).  Been there and I know it sucks!!  Good luck....

ReaIisticBeauty
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:44 PM
1 mom liked this
It sounds like harassment and who is he,to tell you, to take your kids out? i would've laughed in his face.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jessy613
by Diamond Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Move

xixCandyxix
by Candy on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Ok I'll look into that.

Quoting irvinehiker:

He IS harassing you.  Do some google searching and see if your state has a rental hotline you can call and find out your rights.  Find out if your city has a noise ordinance.  (most do, no noise after 10 PM).  Been there and I know it sucks!!  Good luck....

bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:46 PM
1 mom liked this

ummm, boys or not, kids don't cry ALL the time lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)