Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Couples arguments. They don't have to be so bad

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:58 PM
  • 11 Replies
How do you, and your SO handle arguments? I ask because I see a lot of dramatic and over the top arguments within my friends and family and they absolutely always come to me to vent/get advice. Personally for myself and my SO, if it starts getting heated we get quiet, and don't speak, leave the room to cool, until we can talk like normal human beings lol. So how do you handle it?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jessy613
by Diamond Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:59 PM

We just walk away and then talk later,

KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:00 PM

We have similar "angry" styles.

We'll hash it out..

And then we're cracking jokes 10 minutes later.

There is no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one.

rebeccarae
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:01 PM
Best way IMO. Anger takes over the brain sometimes.

Quoting Jessy613:

We just walk away and then talk later,

Miss-B
by ♥Divalicious♥ on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:02 PM
1 mom liked this

WE always talk it out if we have a disagreement. We don't yell or fight. We've came a long way.

rebeccarae
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:04 PM
1 mom liked this
I like that example, for some hot heads even talking will escalate. It's great you've gotten far, congrats on that.

Quoting Miss-B:

WE always talk it out if we have a disagreement. We don't yell or fight. We've came a long way.

Sarah-mom01
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:05 PM

My S/O and I don't argue much because we're good at realizing when we're being idiots, but when we do get in big arguments, we just leave each other alone until we can breath and speak normally, and then I apologize and admit that I'm on my period and Im cranky, and then he gets me chocolate.... Ok, that bit about chocolate isn't true but I wish it was. 

rebeccarae
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Make up sex, make up cuddles, make up chocolate. That last one sounds so gooood! Lol

Quoting Sarah-mom01:

My S/O and I don't argue much because we're good at realizing when we're being idiots, but when we do get in big arguments, we just leave each other alone until we can breath and speak normally, and then I apologize and admit that I'm on my period and Im cranky, and then he gets me chocolate.... Ok, that bit about chocolate isn't true but I wish it was. 

Miss-B
by ♥Divalicious♥ on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Yes, because we used to yell. We've come to a place where we hear each other out, and it all ends well. Great understanding and communication is a must in all relationships! ♥

Quoting rebeccarae:

I like that example, for some hot heads even talking will escalate. It's great you've gotten far, congrats on that.

Quoting Miss-B:

ElitestJen
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:15 PM

There's lots of ways to temper an argument.  Some of the ways my husband and I have done it is:

holding hands (you can't get overly pissed when you're in physical contact)

when you're gonna blow, kiss instead  (it diffuses the issue and reminds you to fight fair)

argue naked (who takes a naked person seriously?)

argue with a symbol that indicates who's turn it is to speak (think conch shell from Lord of the Flies)

People lose intimacy when they get angry.  Most of these methods maintain intimacy while dealing with issues.

Aislinn
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:19 PM

We ( I) are screamers. lol I need to get it out and move on. We do not hold grudges. Shutting down and walking away only further infuriates me.   I think it is the German and Irish in me...lol Having said that, we have never, in thirteen years, fought in front of friends or family. We can be ready to strangle each other in the car, get out with smiles on and nobody knows we are angry. We do not involve others in our crap. We have friends that do that and it is AWFUL.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN