Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT--work related. "older" employees vs "young" ones

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:10 PM
  • 4 Replies

I seriously cannot believe I'm calling myself an "older" employee but the truth is, I think that out of 25 people at my new job, I'm the 3rd oldest but have the least seniority.

I have actually experienced what I would call ageism for the first time in my life and it blows my mind.

Some of these young folks are a real treat.  (sarcasm)

Probably the worst offender is a gal who is all of 20 YO.  She pretty much seems to be trying to throw me under the bus on a regular basis. The kicker is that she is suffering from some mental health issues that have been keeping her out of work more and more and I'm the one who keeps getting called in to cover her hours.  If she would just talk to me, I could probably help her as I've struggled with some of the same issues over the last 20 years.  But instead, whenever she IS there she is pretty shitty to me and others.  And she typically ends up leaving half way through her shift IF she shows up at all.

I've only been at this company for 6 weeks.  We have been short staffed due to her leaving or no showing most days unless it was planned for and then I've worked her hours.  

It's bizarre to me to run a company like this.  I've managed a business like the one I'm in now and this crap would not be tolerated.  It's kind of weird to be back in "peon" mode after 20 years of running companies myself but it is what it is.   I can only commit to about a year working at a company right now so I took what I could get.  

My question is...have any of you successfully dealt with kiddos like this?  They believe that they are superior just due to tenure but really they are exceptionally poor employees and/or coworkers.  I would like to make friends with this kid but she is a hard nut to crack.  Figured that maybe a SM or BM might have some insight.

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Birdseed
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:49 PM

bump

enlightened_24
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I had to do a report on millenials and it made me sick. I hate being in this generation because we have such a bad reputation. I have work ethic like you wouldnt believe and I make a point of being the best at what I do. This report I did talked about the kids whose PARENTS call the bosses about why they got a bad report or didnt get the raise/promotion. The idiots who want to leave at 2 everyday to go tan. The people who refuse to work and try to sue when they are fired. Its only going to get worse unless things change and the lack or parenting and education system makes it hard to believe anything is about to get better.

Birdseed
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting enlightened_24:

I had to do a report on millenials and it made me sick. I hate being in this generation because we have such a bad reputation. I have work ethic like you wouldnt believe and I make a point of being the best at what I do. This report I did talked about the kids whose PARENTS call the bosses about why they got a bad report or didnt get the raise/promotion. The idiots who want to leave at 2 everyday to go tan. The people who refuse to work and try to sue when they are fired. Its only going to get worse unless things change and the lack or parenting and education system makes it hard to believe anything is about to get better.

I tutor college kids (juniors mostly) and you wouldn't BELIEVE how involved their folks are or want to be. It's nuts.  My folks were never involved in my day to day education.  They went to conferences when I was in grade school but after that, I was on my own.

I totally hear you on the helicopter parenting stuff.  Crazy!

But just because you're young/in that group doesn't mean that all of us old folks (wink) think you're not a good worker.  

enlightened_24
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I feel I have to work extra hard to get credit based on the beliefs of my generation but trust me, I do get credit. I show from day one what I can do and make sure everyone sees the benefits without being in-your-face about it. I have quit a job because I could not pick up the slack for the two KIDS (about 18-20) nor did I want to. Our boss didnt care what they did and I cant ignore stuff like that so I left. I love my new job, I am the youngest one here and I learn so much from the older people around me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)