Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No responsibilities for teens?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 44 Replies

So my sister is 18 and lives at home with my parents rent free. I pay her the six times a year that she babysits graciously: clothes sodas books, $150 yearly! I have four kids, one special needs. Plus feed her meals if she babysits during a meal hour. At my mom's she has two chores: dishes and feed/water dogs. 

Well, this week she went to her pediatrician and complained! Said she works too hard and wants to run away (in my state anyone NOT graduated from High School and still enrolled is considered truant and a run away until 19 years of age). Not shocking that she is acting like a hormonal teen on her period. It happens, right?

The pedi said, "No one should have to take care of anyone or do any chores, except to take care of themselves."

Is that the new psycho babble!? That we teach our teens not to participate in household chores and responsiblities. Is it common that families are no longer requiring their teens to do any helpful acts around the house. I thought a huge part of their development was learning how to work as a team and help others as skills they will need when they are employed.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:30 PM
I'd get a new pedi! My pedi told me to make my dd and ds do chores at 2 years old! nothing major but just picking up toys, clothes, etc... and then build from there as they age. I love my pedi, she is old school morals, methods, and sometimes techniques with new age technology and ideas...the best of both worlds. I think that a lot of today's issues has to do with people treating our youth like this...like they have no responsibilities or cares!
kngarber
by Katie on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:32 PM
1 mom liked this

OMG I would smack the shit out of the pediatrician.  Are you kidding me?

kngarber
by Katie on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Mine too!!  And he gave us some really great ideas to make them fun. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I'd get a new pedi! My pedi told me to make my dd and ds do chores at 2 years old! nothing major but just picking up toys, clothes, etc... and then build from there as they age. I love my pedi, she is old school morals, methods, and sometimes techniques with new age technology and ideas...the best of both worlds. I think that a lot of today's issues has to do with people treating our youth like this...like they have no responsibilities or cares!

VannaMae307
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:33 PM
2 moms liked this

do 18 year olds really use pediatricians?

SoKamele
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:34 PM

My almost 6 yr old.....does more than that.

Wow.......time to get a real doctor.......step away from the new age funk.

emandab
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Well I guess she better get off her ass and get to work so she can take care of herself.  If I were her parents I'd say "okay, I listening to your pedi, I'm not going to take care of you anymore because I shouldn't have to".

time_warp
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:37 PM
wow my 7 year has more chores than her
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Double_Trouble
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:39 PM
I had a job at 15 and worked at least 4 days a week plus weekends. Get a new doctor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tennisgal
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:40 PM

eye rolling

good lord i hope this isnt the new trend

MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:41 PM

When our children hit 16 they were encouraged to find and hold part-time jobs.  They held on to their own paycheck and bought items as they wished.  In the meantime, they always had small jobs around the house such as vacuuming, throwing garbage, cleaning their rooms, folding/hanging laundry and washing dishes. At 18 they were required to pay $20 per week if they were living at home.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured