Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DS best friend is forced to be Vegan when he doesnt want to be. Also the child is only 6 years old. (LONG STORY)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 115 Replies
So DS best friend since he started 1st grade is a Vegan little boy. His parents asked if I could babysit because they were going to eat at a Vegan restaurant with some friends of theirs. They said they would be back at 4:00. But didn't get back until 6:00. Now my Oldest DD is Type 1 Diabetic as I am so we always eat at 4:00 to fit both of our eating schedules. Now we aren't Vegan so we eat meat and the whole nine yards of foods. So I thought his parents were on their way so I started dinner. Then 5:00 came around and his parents didn't even call to say they were going to be late or anything. Now my other two children went to their rooms to eat which rarely ever happens we sit at the table every night to eat dinner. But since my DS friend was there I wasn't going to let them be impolite and eat right in front of the child's face knowing that he cant even eat an ounce of food. So the kid and I sat and talked and he even told me that he hates the way he has to eat. So I asked him you cant just eat whatever you want because you parents make you eat Vegan. He says yes they make me eat that way cause if I don't they make me feel sad about something I ate and that I wasn't supposed to eat. So his Parents come in at 6:00 and said oh we figured you wouldn't mind if we stayed out later. Now I didn't mind because I hadn't taken any Insulin for myself so it wasn't that big of a deal to me. But their poor child had to sit and be hungry which he said multiple times and I offered him Spinach but he didn't like it and everything else in my house was not Vegan friendly. So how do I say politely to them that their child doesn't want to eat the way they eat or should I say anything at all. Besides to tell them to pack food next time he comes over if they are going to be late. They should also have called but I let that go because I'm going to save that for a later date. BUT WHAT SHOULD I DO DONT WANT TO OFFEND THE CHILDS PARENTS EITHER.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:14 PM
6 moms liked this
They have a right to raise or feed their child how they see fit. It isnt abuse or neglect, stay outmof it
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jessy613
by Diamond Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:14 PM

This

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

They have a right to raise or feed their child how they see fit. It isnt abuse or neglect, stay outmof it

delilahsmom1177
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:17 PM
1 mom liked this

My kid doesn't like that I don't let her have regular choclate milk. It must be organic almond milk. I don't care she drinks it and it is good for her./ Nobody can tell me what to feed my child.

I'm a tattooed,pagan,pro-choice,pro-legalizing marijuana,pro-gay marriage,anti-war,non-vaxing,tree hugging,animal loving,book reading,animal testing free,depression battling, trying to raise a free spirit and letting her be who she is but still teaching her important life lessons,fighting for equal rights at the same time,don't like it get over it.

Sanctimommy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:17 PM
2 moms liked this

I would say nothing. If the child is getting his nutritional needs met and it is an issue of only wanting meat, then he will make the decision on his own one day.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:17 PM

You shouldn't say anything. I agree with Peanutsmommy just say next time he comes over send some of the veggie food with him

bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:17 PM
8 moms liked this

honestly? I'd probably let them know htat he had a blast but he wanted to eat your food and you couldn't give him any without disrespecting your beliefs and if they plan on doing it again they either need to provide you with some vegan food for him or understand that he will probably end up eating whatever you end up cooking :) good luck

redhead-bedhead
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:18 PM
I would stay out of it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Quoting Sanctimommy:

I would say nothing. If the child is getting his nutritional needs met and it is an issue of only wanting meat, then he will make the decision on his own one day.

Ok Thanks because everyone seems to make this out to be a damn bashing fest Thank you for being polite. Just didnt know what to do becuase just let my emotions get the best of me. 

Jcothrine
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:20 PM

i would tell them to bring food over and to call if they are going to be late..and i wouldn't wait to tell them!

JC

CV3
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Yeah I would just tell ask them for food for him next time. Tell them you dont follow a vegan diet and are not sure what is appropriate.

Thats so sad though. Poor kid.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)