• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Rosetta Stone anyone??

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:15 PM
  • 18 Replies

DH got transferred, they said it won't matter that he doesn't know Spanish, that it won't effect his work. Turns out he's lost over 75% of commission because he can't help most of the customers because he doesn't speak Spanish. He will have this job for a while, and to know spaniis will just help In general too.!

So,  have you used Rosetta Stone!? How was it? Do I need the $350 package or can I just buy the first 2-3 lessons of the five?? Can I buy it used or are there workbooks or something that would make it difficult to use a used one? Thanks!!

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VannaMae307
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:16 PM

We got Rosetta Stone free for a while through dh's army portal and I enjoyed it, I will say it helps WAY more if you have the mic/headset set up, because you can talk back to it and it will help with pronunciation. I really enjoyed RS but we can't afford it if it was to be paid for.

KRMomma
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:19 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't know but I need to see if they have the english to ghetto moron package so I can understand DH's ex.

KylesWifey
by Go HAWKS!!!! on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:19 PM

How far did you get? Was it Spanish? Will the first few levels or sections whatever be enough?

Quoting VannaMae307:

We got Rosetta Stone free for a while through dh's army portal and I enjoyed it, I will say it helps WAY more if you have the mic/headset set up, because you can talk back to it and it will help with pronunciation. I really enjoyed RS but we can't afford it if it was to be paid for.

honeyrder
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:19 PM

It works because it's close to immersion in its setup. We have used it to teach English at the last two schools I worked for. The microphone thing is crap, though. I speak English, and my speech never matches the program's.

KylesWifey
by Go HAWKS!!!! on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Lmao!! Sorry you have to deal with ghetto bitches :(

Quoting KRMomma:

I don't know but I need to see if they have the english to getto moron package so I can understand DH's ex.

honeyrder
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:20 PM

What does your husband do?

Birdseed
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:20 PM

You might be able to get it cheaper on CL if you post looking for it and keep your eyes out.  Especially if you look at the DC area CL. 

I think it's pretty good. Pricey but good.

Pooobaihr
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:21 PM

I have Rosetta Stone for Japanese and... yeah.. while it does help with hearing and pronounciation, it is ZERO help with grammar or really anything else.  Its all there, but as they tell you, it teaches you the way you'd teach a child. You just "get" it after so many times of them repeating it.  But with some languages, especially Character driven languages, you need more.  Books and crap like that.

KylesWifey
by Go HAWKS!!!! on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Did you use all the levels or sections whatever they call them or was the first few enough? 

Quoting honeyrder:

It works because it's close to immersion in its setup. We have used it to teach English at the last two schools I worked for. The microphone thing is crap, though. I speak English, and my speech never matches the program's.

VannaMae307
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:21 PM

I did Deutsch/German but I think Spanish would be a lot easier. You learn through "immersion" so the text is limited, you learn by sound and speech. I think the first 2-3 chapters or whatever are pretty basic....touristy-level "where's the bathroom" type of stuff. Professionally...you may need him to go further. Have you tried a local library? What do they have for language resources?

Quoting KylesWifey:

How far did you get? Was it Spanish? Will the first few levels or sections whatever be enough?

Quoting VannaMae307:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)