Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2.5 year old and Temper Tantrums

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies

Idk If they are even temper tantrums, but for example he was being grumpy, and i tried to set him on the couch. He laid down and scream/cried for 2 seconds then stops.. then 3-4 mins later he scream/cries for a couple more seconds then stops. If I look at him, or DH asks him what is wrong he cries and kicks and screams and hits.

He is just starting to talk more  and he gets very frustrated. IDK what to do in these situations. I normally just leave him alone.  But it is getting kind of rediculous. His screeches are ear piercing! He turns 3 in August.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sanctimommy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Oh, honey. It gets worse than this. Three is the very worst age of them all. Don't worry, though, there's a light at the end of the tunnel. I hear when they hit thirty, their tempers settle down a little.

Jessy613
by Diamond Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Three is the WORST AGE EVER! 

It does get better though.

edelweiss23
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:37 PM
It gets worse!!
Best thing, ignore them!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SuperMommy8908
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:39 PM

I didnt like three either, but now she 4.5 and has an attitude already. im in for it haha

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Quoting Sanctimommy:

Oh, honey. It gets worse than this. Three is the very worst age of them all. Don't worry, though, there's a light at the end of the tunnel. I hear when they hit thirty, their tempers settle down a little.

My 5 year old NEVER ever acted this way. They are completely opposite of eachother :/

butterflyk1ssez
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Gotta say 3 is the worst age. 2 was a piece of cake! (think your favorite kind!).

So, two is just a starter. Remember 9 months when your baby had that incredible leap in metal and physical capabilities? That is all age 3 to 4 1/2.

Just put him in time out and reiterate that is not OK to do that and that he needs to be calm and nice and respect boundaries.

We have a time out chair (a small chair in a corner with an egg timer beside the shelf) and we time 3 minutes and he will cry, and cry, and cry, and then he will apologize for doing whatever he is doing naughty. It does get easier once you find a "punishment" that works.

Pregnancy Ticker

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:40 PM
ignore him
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Normally when he gets really bad I set him in his room and shut the door. Thats when it sounds like someone is killing him.. he throws things around etc. but I dont let him come out until he is done.  Then I have to spend another 30 mins helping him clean up the mess he just made. He is so so so different from my 5 yo.

Quoting butterflyk1ssez:

Gotta say 3 is the worst age. 2 was a piece of cake! (think your favorite kind!).

So, two is just a starter. Remember 9 months when your baby had that incredible leap in metal and physical capabilities? That is all age 3 to 4 1/2.

Just put him in time out and reiterate that is not OK to do that and that he needs to be calm and nice and respect boundaries.

We have a time out chair (a small chair in a corner with an egg timer beside the shelf) and we time 3 minutes and he will cry, and cry, and cry, and then he will apologize for doing whatever he is doing naughty. It does get easier once you find a "punishment" that works.

Sanctimommy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:43 PM

I had one child out of three that was not a holy terror at 3 years old. But then, she was the one who as a baby could contentedly sit quietly for literal hours at a time and not move a muscle or make a sound.

Sounds like you have one of those kids, the uber good ones and were expecting the next one to be like her. You lucked out. Prepare yourself. Eventually even the good ones turn 13 and all hell breaks loose. 

Just invest in Calgon and wine. You're in for a bumpy ride.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Sanctimommy:

My 5 year old NEVER ever acted this way. They are completely opposite of eachother :/

muzzyh
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:44 PM
2 is the warm up. 3 is when the monster comes to play.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)