Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My neighbor threatned to call CPS on me just because my ds is doing chores pretty much night and day

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

It's spring break for him (he's 12) and last week I gave him a list of about 100 chores to do. He has all the time in the world to do them and he doesn't even have to do most of them if he doesn't want to, but I said I'd pay him 5-20 bucks for all the different ones.

He just wants this xbox thing and 2 games that cost a ridiculous amount so he's working almost night and day, a lot of time in the yard or on the house.

Now my neighbor just came over and said she knows what I've been doing and she's going to call CPS on me for child slave labor!

What do I Do? Is she crazy or do I stop him from doing so much?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Replies (41-50):
Jade_Lufercus
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:02 PM

No, there is nothing wrong with a kid working to make money. I think you are teaching him good values, and you shouldn't be ashamed.

xixCandyxix
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:04 PM

He is old enough to explain he was doing the chores for extra allowance to buy Xbox games or whatever exactly it is. If CPS says anything at all they will tell you to cut back the chores to (x number of hours a day) and that's probably the worst they will do if everything else checks out ok.

Jade_Lufercus
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:04 PM

I'm guessing she's giving him so many to do because, as she stated, he doesn't have to do any of them, but I'm sure some he'd prefer to do more than others so she's giving him the option of chosing.

Quoting Anonymous:

100 chores is excessive, and I'm guessing you already know that.

emandab
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:56 PM

The last sentence was way too stupid for it not to be a troll, IMO.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting emandab:

Whatever troll.

A 12 year old painting a fence, and clearing weeds has to be a troll?

Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Don't worry about it. CPS will not take a kid away for doing chores.  They will probably laugh, especially since he is being paid. LOL

Dee0886
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:58 PM

So now chores is child labor? 

Damnit i wish I knew that growing up...

Aleta775
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:58 PM
Let her call. Then CPS can nail her ass to the wall for false reporting.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bowribbonmama
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:00 PM
My sons father once called on me because I was making my son clean up his toys. They said it was the stupidest report ever made.
Also, CPS encourages chores.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emandab
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:00 PM

The last sentence was too obvious.  If she's such a good parent to have her kids do chores (for whatever reason i.e. to build a good work ethic or to earn money to pay for a toy) then why would she be so stupid to worry about what a neighbor is saying?  Just saying, I think chores are great and every kid should have them. Looks like she was trolling for people to jump on her ass for making her kid a list of 100 chores.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why would you think this was a troll?  Because she is a good parent and making her child earn what they want instead of giving it to them?  Because the crazy neighbor is saying they will report?  What is wrong with you?

Quoting emandab:

Whatever troll.

Aleta775
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:01 PM
It doesn't sound like he has to do all of them, and he can pick which ones he wants to do to earn money. I think the OP simply made the list that big to give him a lot of options.

Quoting Anonymous:

100 chores is excessive, and I'm guessing you already know that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN